Thread: Mini Road Trip Finds

Mini Road Trip Finds

My fiancé and I live a little northwest of the Twin Cities in Minnesota. This past weekend we took a drive down Highway 61 and stayed a couple nights in Red Wing, along the Mississippi. We did a little combination disc golf/sightseeing/antique store trip, and I figured I'd share my purchases. We're tool nerds, after all.

Several stores over a couple day period netted:

Stanley Bailey 5 1/2
    Stanley #80 Cabinet Scraper
    Millers Falls Brace
    Millers Falls #75 block
    and a Craftsman branded Sargent 1080 combination plane. I do not see any missing parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool finds! Good for you. Get them for a good price?

Is the 1080 equivalent to a Stanley 45? I havent seen one before.
    Fred

I'm under $200 for everything pictured, but the only thing that needs any real work is the #80. So, I didn't get any super magnificent deals, but I think I got good value, and time saved on restoration. I'll take that.

I'm fairly new to all this, but yes, the 1080 would be the Stanley 45 equivalent. For the condition it's in, and what I paid, I couldn't leave it behind.

Congratulations Nathan, I think you did real good and I hope you had fun hunting the tools down.
    Rick

Well done, especially the #5 1/2 and the #80. I hoard cabinet scrapers. You can never have too many. Yours looks like an older one too. Original blade?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Well done, especially the #5 1/2 and the #80. I hoard cabinet scrapers. You can never have too many. Yours looks like an older one too. Original blade?
    I have next to no knowledge on the 80s. I see no markings at all on the iron, though it was obviously used and sharpened and does have some pitting. Any way to tell if it's original?

According to the type study the 5 1/2 is a type 10, making it the second oldest plane I have now.