Thread: Rikon 10” 10-300 BS Mini Review

Rikon 10” 10-300 BS Mini Review

I picked up the Rikon 10” bandsaw a little over a month ago to do small BS projects on, with a side benefit of not having to change out the resaw blade on the MiniMax as often. I finally had some time to give it a test drive.

The Stats:
    Motor: 1/3 HP, 4.5 Amp
    Throat Width: 9 5/8”
    Max Cutting Depth: 3 3/8”
    Blade Length: 67 ½” !!
    Blade Width: ¼” – ½”
    Blade Speed: 2780 ft/min
    Table Size: 11-13/16” X 11-13/16”
    Table Tilt: 45°
    Weight: 55 lbs.

Pros:
    Very well made for the price.
    Smooth Running – wheels have been balanced.
    Both upper & lower guides have ball-bearing guides.<O
    Lightweight – easy to lift onto bench or tablesaw.
    <OImpressive dust collection using a shop vacuum.

Cons:
    Oddball sized vacuum port.<O
    Cheap plastic miter gage.
    Cast Aluminum table rough around the edges.

I am really impressed with the overall quality and design of this bandsaw, it appears that Rikon did their homework. Other than the cheesy aluminum table, toy miter gage, and oddball dust port, this is a cool little saw that should fit the bill for small work very well.

Lesson Learned:
    Go by the manufacture’s spec sheet…
    The Woodcraft website lists the blade length of the Rikon at 67” and sells 67” blades. The Rikon data sheet lists the blade at 67&#189;”. Foolishly, I did not cross reference the lengths and ordered six 67" Timberwolf & Woodcraft blades from Woodcraft, adding up to $128, including shipping. Naturally, the first thing I did when the blades arrived was to remove them from their packaging and hang them on the wall.
    You’ve probably guessed already… the 67” blades don’t fit! I will be calling Woodcraft on Monday.

Pic 1. New table, &#190;” phenolic faced MultiPly with &#188;” phenolic throat plate. Full size miter gage slot.
    Pic 2. Machined port adapter to fit my Fein T3.
    <OPic 3. Easy to perform scroll type cuts in &#190;” read oak.
    Pic 4. Almost no dust after cutting the red oak.<O
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 10-23-2005 at 2:23 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

That's a nice 'lil saw you have there Bruce. I really like the "aftermarket" table that you put on it.
    Good to know that the bandsaw worked out for you and fit your need.
    I'm certain that woodcraft will make good on the blades, especially if you still need to order 6-67 1/2" er's.

Bruce,
    Thanks for the write up on the little Rikon. Just by chance I was thinking the same thing the other day. Like you I own the MM and use it mostly for resawing. Having another BS would sure make life easier.
    The table. Could you please provide some additional detail as to how you made it? Where did you get the raw materials ? Was it simply mounted on top of the standard table or ??
    Thanks, look forward to your reply.
    John Edwards

Bruce, It is a little beauty! I kept my 14" Jet when I got my bigger saw and it is increadibly handy for joinery, scrolling and other general work. That was a very smart buy and it wil serve you well! Great review...!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by John Edwards
    Bruce,
    Thanks for the write up on the little Rikon. Just by chance I was thinking the same thing the other day. Like you I own the MM and use it mostly for resawing. Having another BS would sure make life easier.
    The table. Could you please provide some additional detail as to how you made it? Where did you get the raw materials ? Was it simply mounted on top of the standard table or ??
    Thanks, look forward to your reply.
    John Edwards
    John,
    The finished table measures 13” X 17” and bolts directly to the saw’s trunion with Ό” X Ύ” lag screws (I ground about ⅛” off from the end of the screws). I made the table from phenolic faced MultiPly sold by Woodcraft; http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3958 I banded it using Ύ” X Ύ” pine & biscuits. I made the throat plate out of Ό” glass phenolic plate that I had on hand. The Incra “T” track is also available from Woodcraft; http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5121 I probably won’t use the “T” track / miter gage with this saw very often but what the hey, I had the t track left over from an earlier project.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Love the table you put on it. Thanks for the post.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Thanks for the post on this Bruce. I am thinking about picking up the Sears version of this saw since I have such a small shop. Actually thinking about the 12 inch version more. At least I think the Craftsman saws are made by Rikon. I think the Craftsman version has a cast iron top instead of the grooved aluminum. I will have to have it do a little more than just scrolling. Not much resawing but would like to be able to saw boxes into and less than 4 inches isn't enough for that. It sure looks like it scrolls nice!

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Hallagan
    Thanks for the post on this Bruce. I am thinking about picking up the Sears version of this saw since I have such a small shop. Actually thinking about the 12 inch version more. At least I think the Craftsman saws are made by Rikon. I think the Craftsman version has a cast iron top instead of the grooved aluminum. I will have to have it do a little more than just scrolling. Not much resawing but would like to be able to saw boxes into and less than 4 inches isn't enough for that. It sure looks like it scrolls nice!

Corey
    Corey, I looked at the Craftsman on their website. The 10" sure looks like the Rikon but the doors are a little different.

Andy Rooney

Bruce,

Thanks for the update. I'm wanting a small bandsaw so I can leave a wider band on my 'main' bandsaw.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

Bruce, Thanks for the review. Looks like it came at a convenient time for me as well as others. You have already answered all the questions I had....except one. The scroll work you posted looks great. Very impressive. Did you do that with a 1/4" blade? What I'm really after is the min radius you can turn with the smallest mfg recommended blade without backing out. Do you have a good feel of what it will do?

Thanks

John, I had a 1/8" blade on it when I made the cuts. If you take your time with the cut, I think you should be able to cut about a 3/16" radius - or maybe a tad smaller.

Andy Rooney

Bruce,

It seems that the supplier of the tires on the saw changed thickness without notifying Rikon, or anyone else. That's why the blades didn't fit. I'd contact Rikon or Woodcraft to see what they will do to fix your problem.

I talked with Woodcraft yesterday via email. They have no problem with me sending the blades back – good company to deal with IMHO. I haven’t heard about the issue with the tires being oversized. Rikon does list the blade size at 67½”. If the blades that I bought from WC were 67½” instead of 67” I wouldn’t have had a problem at all. Woodcraft should change their literature in both their website and their catalog to reflect the proper length of 67½”.

Andy Rooney

Bruce,
    Based on this thread and your review i picked up the Sears unit yeasterday. They have them on sale for 134.99. Cast iron 12 x 13xx table.
    Have not had a chance to use it yet but what is interesting is that the manual makes no mention of blade length.
    Let us know what sizes (width and TPI) you get and how you like them.
    Thanks

John I went to Sears web site and if that is the 10" one that looks like the Rikon it said you can use 1/8" to 1/2" blades 70 1/2" long. Use a 3 tpi for resaw. I keep a 1/8" 14 tpi, 1/4" 8 tpi, 3/8" 6 tpi made by Timberwolf and 1/2" woodslicer 3 tpi. Hope this helps.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.