Thread: Garden Gate in Cedar

Garden Gate in Cedar

I've been working on a decorative gate for the butterfly and pollinator garden at Millbrook Marsh, a local nature center. We finally installed it today.

InstalledA.jpg InstalledB.jpg

The wood is western red cedar. The finish is Penofin Ultra Premium Stain (clear). The adhesive is WEST SYSTEM epoxy. The stile/rail joints are mortise and tenon.

BottomRight.jpg MiddleLeft.jpg TopRight.jpg

The panel pieces above and below the diagonal brace are floating, held in place by tongue and groove joints. All grooves face down or sideways. I put backer rod in the grooves to minimize rattling.

Panel.jpg

The posts are treated 4x4s clad in cedar.

Cladding.jpg HiddenPostA.jpg

Jay, nicely done sir.

That would make my wife happier than a new kitchen. I bet you smile every time you look in that direction.
    I like projects like this, nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin nee View Post
    I bet you smile every time you look in that direction. I like projects like this, nice job.
    +1. That's really nice. It looks lightweight but strong. I love the cedar too.
    Fred

That is beautiful - nice work and love how you hid the 4x4's.

Well done...looks great!!!!

Beautiful work. Don't know about the Penofin Ultra Premium but I used the Marine grade on my cedar deck and it literally turned a dark almost black shade. I completely sanded down the deck the next year and did it again with their best Marine grade and same result. The next year sanded it down again and used the Penofin cleaner as they suggested after sanding to bare wood and had the same result after using the Marine grade. After 3x doing this I went online and found many others with the same result.
    This last year sanded it down again and used TWP and it has been beautiful. I still have railings that have the Penofin and are black and some I have refinished with TWP that are perfect. Beware of the Penofin and hope it holds up for you because that is one good looking gate.

Thanks for your kind words. I learned a lot on this project and, as usual, got helpful advice here during the planning.

I stole that idea for the post cladding from somebody out there on the web.

Oh my, I hope I have better luck with the finish than Bill had! If I have to go out to Millbrook Marsh and sand it all down, I might, well, cry.

super gate. Looks fabulous. Great job.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Blog Entries
    Great looking gate and great craftsmanship.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution