Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: new LC1390N (80 watt) that completely lost power- in machine gfci flips it off

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    What you are not understanding... is the Green wire is suppose to be N or neutral but could be reversed in the Input plug in the back and unless you reverse and try you will never know. The Chinese do not have the same electrical as us and could have been running it either on 220 (and switched over to 110 before shipping) or a transformer. Also its possible the GFI switch is good and you have an issue someplace in the machine and that has been suggested by myself and others. BTW if you think that GFI device is bad, contact the seller and have them supply one.

You have been given several suggestions on bypassing that GFI switch to see if its in the machine wiring. I have been troubleshooting and repairing electrical since 1962. I have learned a couple things in those few years, and I am still learning.
    Hi Bill, thanks - sorry so many ideas just trying to keep up with them... also hesitant to bypass the rccb for fear of frying out anything. I spoke with a colleague who purchased the same laser as me about the same time. He was unwilling to pull it out at this tome to take pics because of his production schedule at the moment. But his installed no problem... but I suppose they could have set his up correctly and mine NOT. as far as the Input plug goes? right? Okay! thank you so much for your expertise! Sorry I work a day job and am not getting the time on this I would like at the moment after I get home to the garage studio.

Okay I will then... in order - try,
    1.) switch the red and green on the rccb/gfi and see...
    then if same problem,
    2.) I will bypass rccb/gfi
    3.) I have a new rccb/gfi on order as a next possible problem.
    then, it seems the worst possibility =
    4.) trying to find the random wire that is causing this deeper within the wiring.
    again, really appreciate your time, and let me know if this sounds correct.
    S

Yes simply switch the green and red wire around that come directly from your input plug. It could be as easy at that. Modern 120 volt GFI's are polarity sensitive the older ones were not.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Yes simply switch the green and red wire around that come directly from your input plug. It could be as easy at that. Modern 120 volt GFI's are polarity sensitive the older ones were not.
    So hmmm...
    1. )after switching the green and red the gfi still flipped off.
    2. ) after bypassing the gfi/rccb - there is nothing because the small fuse at the main input for the machine's power blew.
    so......

I am finally getting an electrician over I think. Wish you guys lived closer!

Blog Entries
    This sounds like you have a fault somewhere! GCFI will act Faster (in most cases at least) than a fuse. you bypassed the GCFI and the fuse had to blow.
    Be careful. Something is Wrong! I don't see anything at backside especially since fuse went. I'm still not positive everything is wired right at your on/off and emergency stop.

Shame there isn't a wiring diagram on these things
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

It could as simple now as one wire off and touching ground? Chinese do not use a grounded system, depending on ground rods and the like.... so now anything goes.

What looks off kilter to me, is the way this incoming power plug is wired...
    plugin.jpg
    -googling for pics of the back-sides of these types of plugs turns up virtually nothing! The only back-side pic I found, shows the male posts from the front simply protrude thru to the back...

This plus is quite a bit different, and the ground wire is in the way so I can't see the connections--

It may be wired okay, but in a purely hot-left ground-middle neutral-right sense, the ground and neutral are backwards...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

It could as simple now as one wire off and touching ground? Chinese do not use a grounded system, depending on ground rods and the like.... so now anything goes.
    well...THE MYSTERY HAS BEEN SOLVED!!!!!!!! a kind friend with great knowledge came over this morning and spent 3 hours going through all of the wiring. Disconnecting testing, reconnecting and the same over and over... He narrowed it down and finally found that a hot and neutral had been installed backwards on one of the power supplies nearest to the stepper motors. He switched them around and WA LA! the problem was fixed!
    the wires were right next to a small sticker that said "APPROVED" signed by inspector#4... well I have a few choice words for inspector #4...
    So Finally after unpacking the machine from the crate it now fires up! I can now align the laser w the mirrors!
    THANK YOU so much for all your help and support BILL and John, (also Kev and Matt)
    those were dark days, I really appreciate all your help.
    HERE IS TO A HAPPY FRIDAY!!!
    SONJA

Great News! Now comes the fun part and it is, learning the machine. Glad you got it going.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja Pete View Post
    well...THE MYSTERY HAS BEEN SOLVED!!!!!!!! a kind friend with great knowledge came over this morning and spent 3 hours going through all of the wiring. Disconnecting testing, reconnecting and the same over and over... He narrowed it down and finally found that a hot and neutral had been installed backwards on one of the power supplies nearest to the stepper motors. He switched them around and WA LA! the problem was fixed!
    the wires were right next to a small sticker that said "APPROVED" signed by inspector#4... well I have a few choice words for inspector #4...
    So Finally after unpacking the machine from the crate it now fires up! I can now align the laser w the mirrors!
    THANK YOU so much for all your help and support BILL and John, (also Kev and Matt)
    those were dark days, I really appreciate all your help.
    HERE IS TO A HAPPY FRIDAY!!!
    SONJA

That's awesome Sonja!