Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Longer Receiving Forum Postings

No Longer Receiving Forum Postings

About May 29 I stopped receiving the postings to the Forums to which I am subscribed. I am a paid member and have made no changes to my forum memberships or my computer. I believe that there was some change to the mailing system about that time. When I log into the system I can review my forums and I do show that I am registered for the forums and have the option to unsubscribe from the forums. What is happening??

John,

I checked your account settings and can't find a problem with your setup but I will ask our server admin to see if he can find the problsm.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bullock View Post
    About May 29 I stopped receiving the postings to the Forums to which I am subscribed. I am a paid member and have made no changes to my forum memberships or my computer. I believe that there was some change to the mailing system about that time. When I log into the system I can review my forums and I do show that I am registered for the forums and have the option to unsubscribe from the forums. What is happening??
    John,

Checking the logs, it looks like our server delivered messages both yesterday and today, which were accepted by your mailbox.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

I verified that I have not received anything after 5/30/17. I searched both locally in gmail and on the server. I can browse the site and see current postings. I did receive your acknowledgement of this problem, but nothing else. All of my other e-mail is arriving normally from other subscriptions to other sites. I am only having this problem with the Sawmill Creek website. I would respectfully suggest that you may not have found the problem on your system. I am a retired director of information systems in large health care facility and do not make these statements casually having supported a wide variety of end user applications for over 25 years in that role. I fully believe that you may be overlooking some system problem.

I appreciate the work you have done already, but believe that there is still a problem on your end.

John, please be sure that your email system hasn't suddenly considered the SMC email address to be "spam". Arron, who is an IT professional, appears to be saying that the SMTP logs show acceptance at your end.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Ken and Jim,
    I appreciate your looking at this problem.

I did review my setting on Gmail and can not find any indications of receiving these mailings after 4/25/17. For a few days after that I received boat building forum news, but that was all.

I checked my trash and spam filters and can not find anything blocked and their is nothing in the trash settings. I checked blocked sites and there was nothing set as being blocked. I contacted the folks with usa.net and was able to review their input logs on-line. I can not find any evidence that they have received e-mails other than what I can in my gmail account. It looks like they are not receiving any e-mails other than what I have responded to. My e-mail address is ****. Their logs show all blocked e-mails and trash e-mails along with their disposition. Is it possible that I have an incorrect e-mail address on some of these forums?
    Thanks,
    John Bullock
    Last edited by Aaron Koehl; 06-03-2017 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Removed email address for privacy

John,

I see you changed your email address yesterday. Our SMTP server logs show that messages are also being accepted for delivery at your new address. Can you confirm that you are indeed receiving messages from noreply@sawmillcreek.org at this new address?
    _Aaron_

On-Going Problem with not receiving Forum messages

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl View Post
    John,

I see you changed your email address yesterday. Our SMTP server logs show that messages are also being accepted for delivery at your new address. Can you confirm that you are indeed receiving messages from noreply@sawmillcreek.org at this new address?

Rather than forwarding my messages from *** to ***, I am now directing my e-mails directly to my gmail account. Previously I had filtered messages from my inbox to a separate directory strictly for all sawmill creek messages. I am now leaving the messages in the inbox to prevent any potential problems in gmail. I am not blocking any senders and do not have either a white list or black list setup.

The only messages I am currently receiving are to the tech support forum. The change occurred on May 25 and at that time I received a few messages for the Boat Building Forum and a couple for the Metalworking Forum. Since the address change to gmail I have seen no change in what I have received. Once again, I can log onto the site and see new activity, but none of it is being sent directly to me. I have added a few more forums, but have not received anything from them either. The Mystery continues. I appreciate anything you can do, but so far I can't see anything wrong and can only act as eyes for you in trying to discern anything unusual, but so far everything looks good on my side, EXCEPT I am not receiving any e-mails from Sawmill Creek other than the ones for Tech Support.

I supervised an installation of over 60 servers at Valley Presbyterian Hospital with over 800 users, but this problem has me stymied. the usa.net people followed through and I was able to look at their server logs and everything looked good there. On the off chance that there was a forwarding problem, I did change to receiving the e-mails directly in gmail. I am using the gmail client and have the same problem on both XP and Windows 10 machines with both Chrome and Thunderbird. So I have eliminated operating system issues, browser issues and e-mail service issues.

I don't have any filtering or blocking with either e-mail service. I am using Eset Nod32 as my anti-virus and am seeing no problems in that log. I have reviewed the mail logs and can find no entries of any kind indicating anything was rejected. It is clean and nothing is isolated or quarantined.
    Thanks,
    John Bullock
    home ****
    Cell ****
    Last edited by Aaron Koehl; 06-05-2017 at 7:01 PM. Reason: Removed private info

John,

You say the logs on usa.net looked good - do you mean they show the missing emails were passed to you?

I haven't studied all the messages so you may have tried this - brute force isolation, changing everything at once then working backwards.

Perhaps create a new temporary account from a different email client, one you don't use now. Access it from a different (borrowed?) computer, preferably with a different OS/browser and from a different location and through a different broadband provider (for example at a friends house who uses AT&T, Comcast, etc.). For a clean break, perhaps even create a new and temporary account on SMC. It may not be practical to change all these but the more the better for debugging. Temporarily switch SMC to that email.

If this it works, debugging should be straight forward by the process of elimination, switching things back towards your current configuration one at a time. At some point it should stop working again which may provide a clue of where in the chain the emails are being eaten.

Disclosure: I don't use the email feature in SMC but my experience is with general debugging. The brute force method is time-consuming but usually pretty effective.

JKJ

John, please be aware that this forum area is open to the world...including the phone numbers and email addresses you've posted...

Jim
    Forum Moderator

I also have stopped receiving subscription updates. The last ones I received came on May 26th. Nothing shows up in spam. I've made no changes to my email.

Ken

Same, I also have stopped receiving subscription updates as of 5/25/17

Same Here!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwyane Ward View Post
    Same, I also have stopped receiving subscription updates as of 5/25/17
    I write to this forum with my problem and I get no response. I even contribute to this forum and no help. This is testing my patience, sorely. Some technical person please help. Mail is not going to spam or anything else.
    Regards,
    Don

Don, the forum site administrators are working on a solution for the various issues that have cropped up with the current forum software. You'll note that you are not the only one with challenges as there are various threads here in the Forum Help area. The solution that is being pursued is a conversion of SMC from the current, older vBulletin software to a different...and current...forum software that will actually enhance capabilities for community members. This is especially true for those who access via mobile devices as the new environment supports them natively. This conversion, however, entails a lot of work because of the size and complexity of the SMC community. Please be patient.

In the mean time and as an alternative to waiting for emails to let you know that someone has posted in a thread you are subscribed to, daily or at whatever interval you prefer, access SMC and click on the "settings" button in the upper right hand side of the page. That will bring you to a list of subscribed threads that have new postings in them.

Jim
    Forum Moderator

John,

I am interested to know if you start receiving mail again, starting today.
    _Aaron_