Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vacuum chucks

vacuum chucks

I have a Powermatic 3520B and am trying to get vacuum system for it. I already have a Gast vacuum pump which I use for my vacuum bag for veneer. I need the vacuum adapter and the vacuum chuck I purchased one from Jt turning but their office is closed until further notice and
    Craft Supplies is out until sometime in August. Do any of you have any ideas for getting a vacuum adapter?

Make your own. I made a couple for my Powermatic 3520 and Nova Comet II since they had different bores. I use the 3/8" double seal bearings and lamp rod with wood glued on like a pen blank to turn for the right diameter of bore. Less than $10 for both adapters.

Dean, if you look on Frugal Vacuum Chucks website you will find plans for a vacuum chuck that works well. You can even purchase the parts ready to put together from them as well. I have finished lots and lots of bowls with these and they are great. If you put a piece of leather across the chuck it will protect the inside of a finished piece and will not leave marks.

Note: if you use wood for the chuck or adapter you must seal it. I made parts for my lathe from 2" hard maple thinking there would only be little or no leakage. I was wrong, wood is more porous than I thought. Sealed it with shellac and worked fine.

Gary, not sure I understand the leather. Do you mean using leather instead of foam or something else?
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I have a Oneway vacuum adapter for my PM3520b. It works well with but one problem - the handwheel must be removed and the adapter fastened in its place. This is a hassle. I plan to build a an adapter based on the one described on the Joe Woodworker web site.
    http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneeri...umchucking.htm

I have a number of vacuum chucks made from PVC pipe fittings.

JKJ

You do not need to use a lamp rod with the powermatic, as the spindle is one solid piece without any holes in it for air to leak out of. The vacuum will hold the adapter in place. You just need an o-ring to seal it.

It's true the wood is a little porous and the bearings a bit more, but with a powerful pump like the Gast it shouldn't hurt anything. You don't need anything approaching full vacuum.

I don't have time to really lay it out in detail, but the adapter is extremely simple to make. It's just a spindle that fits into the hole in the handwheel, with a small hole drilled through it and a recess for a bearing on the fat end. It helps to have an o-ring to seal the insert end, but it only takes one. You get a brass nipple for your vacuum hose, with threads on one end that matches the inner diameter of your bearing, then epoxy it into the bearing. You can turn the brass down a little to fit if necessary with your woodturning tools.

Here's some pictures of mine (it was actually a WIP at the time; the 3 o-rings on the shaft proved to be totally useless(not to mention poorly installed; I was playing with o-ring sizes and the grooves for them show it). I used two bearings and sealed the wood with superglue. I'm not sure either of those were necessary. Cost about $5 (most of that cost was the brass nipple). It does leak some air, but the gast pump is able to handle it easily.

ETA: In case I wasn't clear, the large o-ring at the base does help. It's is the only one that's needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Bouis; 05-31-2017 at 8:09 PM.

Buy it from One Way. Less hassle in the long run. Have owned one for many years.

I started with the Oneway and got rid of it. Like John said you lose the hand wheel. JT Turning Tools says closed through May 22 but even if they are closed for a few more weeks wait for them as their adapter is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blasic View Post
    I started with the Oneway and got rid of it. Like John said you lose the hand wheel. JT Turning Tools says closed through May 22 but even if they are closed for a few more weeks wait for them as their adapter is the best.
    +1 Had mine several years and love it.
    God is great and life is good!

I had a one way for my Jet 1642 (sent it off with the lathe when I sold it) but when I got a new lathe, I made one part of the order - it came with the one made by JT Turning Tools and is vastly better. If JT isn't available, try calling Brent at Robust - he may be able to supply one.
    It's fairly easy to make one, but, if you're anything like me, I'd rather be turning.

I have the frugal vaccum pump system and I think it is great,,and actually very affortable compared to the others,,,i called the man and spoke with him before purchasing and he was very nice,,

To William:
    I use 4" pvc pipe for my chuck. I cover the end foam. Then I put a piece of leather over the foam w/ paintrs tape. Leather from old chair. No rub ring in bottom

Thanks to everyone who sent great suggestions.I will call Brent tomorrow, he just lives a couple of miles from me. I didn't know Robust was handling anything to do with vacuum chucking.
    I don't know whats going on at JT Turning. I ordered adapter from JT before they shut down and sent the money to him via Am Exp, but got no merchandise. He finally called and told me he would ship on June 2, but nothing came so I called back and E-mailed him, but get no E-mail or phone answered since then. Not a good way to operate a business in my opinion.
    Dean Collins in Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Dean D Collins View Post
    Thanks to everyone who sent great suggestions.I will call Brent tomorrow, he just lives a couple of miles from me. I didn't know Robust was handling anything to do with vacuum chucking.
    I don't know whats going on at JT Turning. I ordered adapter from JT before they shut down and sent the money to him via Am Exp, but got no merchandise. He finally called and told me he would ship on June 2, but nothing came so I called back and E-mailed him, but get no E-mail or phone answered since then. Not a good way to operate a business in my opinion.
    Dean Collins in Wisconsin
    I hope they haven't gone belly-up. The unresponsiveness plus the "closed for a few more weeks" note sounds like one of the possibilities but I can think of more. I hope there is no serious illness.

At least AmEx should make it good, at least they always have for me.

JKJ