Thread: Need help with a ridgid wood lathe

Need help with a ridgid wood lathe

Alright guys this is my first post and I need some help. I will be getting a ridgid wood lathe this week and before I hear don't use the circle tube style bed, 1) it's brand new and it's being given to me in exchange for some small work, 2) it's all in gonna use for now, 3) I'm gonna make sure I get the 1" 8 tpi spindle adapter so I can use my tools on a better lathe in future.
    Alright here's where I need help, I plan to make some duck calls and maybe some bowls. But the problem is that it comes with no chucks or anything like that so I need to know what I need to get to be able to do it. Would I be able to get a drill chuck for the headstock and a mandrel for the duck calls? And how about the PSI chucks, found one with 3 sets of jaws for $90

Welcome to the fourm. I don't turn duck calls, so no advice on that. Regarding chucks, I started out with the PSI chucks. I have the utility, Barracuda 2, and Barracuda 4 PSI chucks. They are serrated grip chucks and for the $$ not bad. I don't like the key they use as it tends to ride up out of engagement when tightening. For $90 I'm guessing it is their utility chuck you are looking at. This is a Tommy bar chuck and needs two hands to tighten. I have this chuck, but would get the Barracuda 2 as I feel this is a better option for a different lathe down the road usually about $139. I recently bought the Nova G3 chuck and really like that chuck. Priced similar to the Barracuda 2, but only comes with one set of jaws. PSI just introduced their quick change jaw chuck for about $250. I don't know anything about this chuck, but if I were buying I would look into it. My advice is to bypass the utility chuck and get one with a key. Now I can say welcome to the turning "vortex".
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Ashley, you are starting the slippery slope of woodturning. I have a Psi chuck that came with multiple jaw sets. It works ok. You did not say if you have the ability to sharpen your tools. If not, a slow speed grinder should be in your future along with a jig(Wolverine or the one offered by PSI). You did not give your location. There are probably a lot of turners near you that would be glad to act as mentors or your local turning club. Good luck as you slide down the slippery slope.
    Joe

Welcome!
    I started o the Craftsman cheapo lathe, which is a huge step down from the "monotube" lathe. Tools? I'd recommend the Harbor Freight set, it gets you a bunch of tools for cheap that should get you going for duck calls. Never turned a duck call, no help on that. For your chuck, I would say get the Nova G3 chuck and adapter. I think it's a bit better than the PSI chuck, but only comes with one set of jaws. It's a few bucks more, but the Nova chuck jaws all interchange, if you upgrade in the future, your jaws will fit the bigger chuck. Bigger lathe in the future, swap out the adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Holland View Post
    Alright guys this is my first post and I need some help. I will be getting a ridgid wood lathe this week and before I hear don't use the circle tube style bed, 1) it's brand new and it's being given to me in exchange for some small work, 2) it's all in gonna use for now, 3) I'm gonna make sure I get the 1" 8 tpi spindle adapter so I can use my tools on a better lathe in future.
    Alright here's where I need help, I plan to make some duck calls and maybe some bowls. But the problem is that it comes with no chucks or anything like that so I need to know what I need to get to be able to do it. Would I be able to get a drill chuck for the headstock and a mandrel for the duck calls? And how about the PSI chucks, found one with 3 sets of jaws for $90
    That lathe is fine for small things. I had one as my first lathe and turned a bunch of things including a few bowls before I decided to replace it over a decade ago. The friend I gave it too still uses it.

If you don't have a manual for it, you can download this: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/26...s1.html#manual

It appears to have a 3/4x16 threaded spindle, at least that's what I think the faceplate is. Does it come with the face plate? If so many things have been made without a chuck by first turning between centers then holding in a jam chuck turned from a block of wood mounted on the face plate! And bottle stoppers, and Christmas ornaments, and honey dippers, and... I don't know about duck calls since I've never made one. It's been a while, but I THINK it has a morse taper in the headstock spindle so you could get a mandrel, jacob's chuck, etc. Just have to check the size of the taper to see if it is a #1 or a #2. You can measure the spur center.

A chuck makes things a lot easier. Any small chuck with the right thread will work. I prefer a chuck with replaceable threaded inserts, for example the Nova G3 chuck - you can use the chuck on another lathe someday if needed by simply changing the insert. I think I still have a Nova insert for that lathe if you want it, but they are pretty cheap. Assuming the thread is 3/4"x16, this one: https://www.amazon.com/NOVA-I9NS-4-I.../dp/B0064JJ88Q
    Here is the G3: https://www.amazon.com/NOVA-48202-Tu.../dp/B0064JJ52U

(There are as many opinions about which chuck to get as there are woodturners! I use and like the Teknatool Nova chucks which have never let me down.)

BTW, many of the larger lathes use a 1-1/4"x8 spindle thread. If you buy a chuck with an insert you can use it forever. (I personally don't like the spindle adapters.)

The lathe is a little sloppy in construction and the tailstock can get out of alignment, but with checking and realigning regularly you should be able to make many things. It is a little limited in power but with sharp tools and patience I found I could make anything I tried. My first bowl ever was from sections of hard, dry red oak glued together to make a big enough blank. My first tools were the set of HSS Craftsman tools from my local Sears store.

Don't hesitate to ask a zillion questions if needed.

JKJ

And the vortex goes on

First, you don't need a chuck to turn duck calls. There are many types of mandrels and some of the mandrels have a Morres Taper MT#2 taper. Some mandrels will fit the pen mandrel sold by PSI, they are expandable rubber. PSI and Hut industries at http://www.hutproducts.com/ also carries a pen mandrel type of chuck. This would be the most reasonable route. Some will fit a cutlet chuck etc., It all depends on what you really want to spend and what you really want to do. With this lathe, you can follow JKJ advice. Maybe you can get an adapter for any kind chuck but these cost $$$$ and you either pay now or later.
    Second yes, this lathe may be just what you can afford now but to do what you want to do all this extra parts cost money. I have made many duck calls, goose calls, predator calls, deer grunts and turkey calls using many types of mandrels (expandable metal, rubber expandable, pin chuck mandrels, friction mandrels with “O” rings) and face plates for turkey calls.
    I would suggest getting a book on making calls and join a call forum such as https://thogamecallsforums.com/. You have a long way to go before you can really start anything including bowls. It not just the lathe, but what you really want to do with the lathe. You need to know what the specification and sizes are on this lathe before you can think about buying adapters and chucks etc.
    I don’t mean to be negative but you need to do some research first otherwise you will spend money needlessly, yes others can help but you need to be specific on what you want out of this your first lathe. I started with pens, stoppers, calls, and lastly bowls. As my venues increased so did my lathe size, and type. Each venue has its hardware and cost.

some of the psi chucks come with the 3/4 to 1 inch adapter that you would need. and if I remember right the Morse taper for those lathes is a #1 in the head and tailstock.

Thank you all and I have been doing research but the only thing I can find on this lathe is that it's a tube design that most people don't like. If it this lathe is going to be given to me then I'm going to take it iver buying one matter what for now. I know it's not an amazing lathe and I already have the tools I need I'm just confused on what chucks I need and I didn't know I could use a mandrel without a chuck. My plan was to get a chuck and put a mandrel in it. I want to turn bowls eventually but I just want to make some calls for now. I'm in North GA. So the nice g3 can be used on my lathe?

I have done plenty of research that's why I'm here asking people for help. It has 3/4" spindle with 16 tpi. And a #1 mt. All I've heard is I need at least 1" 8 tpi with #2 mt so my plan was to buy an adaptor and get the 1" 8tpi chucks and accesories so they could be used again in the future. What I'm asking is what are decent chuck, jaws, mandrel etc that I should look for, I think you misunderstood me but thank you

10. Best Wood tools would be the place to get a spindle adapter adapter for your spindle, then you cab get the chuck of your choice to fit the spindle. They have MT #1 and 3/4 x 16 tpi, converting to 1 x8tpi for you chuck. I think it is $69.95 with a thru hole, and $54.95 without the thru hole. Here is a link. These are quality machined products. Once on site, go to the adapters page...

http://bestwoodtools.com/
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 05-31-2017 at 8:43 AM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

these lathes are light so it will need to be bolted to something heavy, and the spin faster than you will like for bowls, but with that said these are good enough to see if this is a activity that you are interested in. when I had one of these I used the psi geared chuck it is around 200 bucks , I still have the chuck and use it often it comes with most of the jaws that you will need plus the bushing.
    When I upgraded to a griz 0766 I bought the adapter 1-1/4x8 to 1x8 and was good to go. kinda Free lathe go for it

I have been making game calls for over 50 years. This lathe will work fine, but I recommend you use a drill press for all of your drilling.

A PSI collet chuck will be your best investment, it has an adapter to fit the threads of the lathe. On eBay search "expanding arbor" , look for a seller called "thirdwheelrider". His mandrels/arbors are the most reasonable in the industry.

Next a 4 jaw chuck, again the PSI chucks are more than enough for game calls. A PSI Utility chuck is okay, but I would recommend the Barracuda2 with the key not the tommy bars.

Send me a PM if you have questions, I will be out most of the day, but will get back to you when I can.

Thank you I believe I sent you a message but I'm not sure if it sent Marvin