Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minimax fs35 setup and adjustment

Just wanted to update everyone. After much adjustment and shimming with brass stock I was able to get the tables within about 0.001-0.002" which I believe is as good if not better than new jointers. It tools a while but the effort paid off. Thanks everyone for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I'll have to contact Holbren and see about the Byrd head.
    I did this and I'm so glad I did. I recommend changing all belts and even the chain drive as the extra strain broke my ten year old chain first time I put a piece of cocobolo through.

Glad it worked out for you and yes, that is very good alignment. Can't blame your jointer for poor work now.

John

John - I recently bought an FSB35. Could you post or send some pictures with a tape measure of your dust collection system? I'd like to make a similar setup.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Marcek View Post
    John - I recently bought an FSB35. Could you post or send some pictures with a tape measure of your dust collection system? I'd like to make a similar setup.
    Thanks

Hi Luke. I posted quite a few photos above of the 14" rectangular to 5" round duct transition piece I used for the dust collection pickup on my unit. I suggest you buy one and put it up to your machine and look at those photos. The only modifications I made were the two rectangular cutouts I made at the inlet of the rectangular end and a 1/4" hole on the bottom when it's in the planer position to index onto a dowel that holds it in place. I can send you a sketch and photos if needed.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Marcek View Post
    Thanks
    Luke, you need to be able to become a Contributor to be able to view images...click on the "Donate" button at the top of the page to do that. It's only a minimum of $6 annually to be a Contributor and enjoy images, private messaging and the Classifieds.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the information and help. I'll let you know if I have any more questions.
    -Luke

Is this a jointer or is there more to it? The op never said what kind of machine it is. He is lucky folks here knew what thast model # was and how to fix it. If he had mentioned it was a jointer others with jointer experience and knowldege could have helped.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Is this a jointer or is there more to it? The op never said what kind of machine it is. He is lucky folks here knew what thast model # was and how to fix it. If he had mentioned it was a jointer others with jointer experience and knowldege could have helped.
    Bill D
    Bill, an FS35 is a jointer/thicknesser combo and is very often discussed here at SMC along with the FS350 version that was available in a different time period.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-20-2024 at 1:36 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...