Thread: Jet Lathe 1642 EVS - inverter question

Jet Lathe 1642 EVS - inverter question

I bought a used Jet 1642 110V that is in good shape. It ran well in the test run before I purchased it and brought it home. I plugged it in in my garage where I run all my other woodworking shop equipment (bandsaw, planer, table saw, etc). When I pull the stop to run position, all is well. But when I turn the variable speed knob up to the slowest speed, breaker flips every time. The inverter on the back seems to be lit up and running as expected, but I wasn't sure if there is something I am doing wrong. This is my first lathe. Just hoping I can get it to run!

Thanks for the help in advance!

-Bryan

I have a Oneway 1224 lathe, 120 volts. When I built my new shop, I put GFCI recepta.bles on all my circuits. The Oneway tripped the breaker overtime I started it. I replaced the GFCI receptable and everything worked well. What I am trying to say is to try your lathe on a non GFCI circuit.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Plantes View Post
    I bought a used Jet 1642 110V that is in good shape. It ran well in the test run before I purchased it and brought it home. I plugged it in in my garage where I run all my other woodworking shop equipment (bandsaw, planer, table saw, etc). When I pull the stop to run position, all is well. But when I turn the variable speed knob up to the slowest speed, breaker flips every time. The inverter on the back seems to be lit up and running as expected, but I wasn't sure if there is something I am doing wrong. This is my first lathe. Just hoping I can get it to run!
    Bryan,

Is it really the breaker tripping or the GFCI? If it is on a GFCI protected circuit, that exact behavior is normal. I had to remove the GFCI the fed the circuit to my 1642 and others have also. Something in the VFD is confusing the GFCI.

If it is the breaker tripping, there is definitely something wrong - I've never heard of that behavior. If so, I'd check the outlet with a tester to make sure it's wired correctly even if other machines on that circuit are running OK. Also, I'd test it plugged into another circuit even if I had to use a long extension cord.

BTW, that's a great lathe, first lathe or not! I got one maybe 15 years ago as my second lathe (my first lathe was worthless) and eventually bought a second one used, mostly so several of us can play at once.

This is an older picture from a couple of years ago showing both - these girls were getting their second turning lesson!

Girls_IMG_20150804_121948_936_lathes.jpg

I've since moved one to another spot in the shop to make room for a bigger lathe but the 1642 still gets a lot of use. Once you get it going you are going to love it.

JKJ

John and Joe,

Thanks! John, when I was saying breaker, I did mean the GFCI circuit (I thought it was called a breaker as well). I'll have to remove the GFCI circuit in the garage. I'll let you know how it goes. Excited to be part of the boards.

John, excited about the lathe. I've been a turning fan for a while and had to save up for a lathe I know I could use for a while without wanting a bigger one!

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Plantes View Post
    John and Joe,

Thanks! John, when I was saying breaker, I did mean the GFCI circuit (I thought it was called a breaker as well). I'll have to remove the GFCI circuit in the garage. I'll let you know how it goes. Excited to be part of the boards.

John, excited about the lathe. I've been a turning fan for a while and had to save up for a lathe I know I could use for a while without wanting a bigger one!

Thanks again!
    I suspect everything will work now. Some breakers do have an internal GFCI so if you replace the receptacle and it still doesn't work, check for that. Also, you probably know his but just in case, one GFCI receptacle protects all receptacles downstream so if you want the protection for other outlets in the garage you might be able to move the GFCI to just after the lathe outlet. If practical, it might even be useful to run a new circuit dedicated to the lathe (and maybe a plug-in task lamp or two) and leave the other circuits alone.

Again, I think you made an excellent lathe choice for the capability vs cost. I did like most people and very quickly outgrew my first lathe, under-powered and under-sized. I researched quite a while before deciding on the 1642. I used it for, as mentioned, about 15 years in three different shops and never felt limited.

Although last year I bought a bigger used lathe, a PM3520b, it wasn't from jumping on the "bigger is better" bandwagon. Although I've turned plenty of large bowls and platters I found I enjoy the challenge of smaller, more intricate things which take more skill than another bowl.

If new to turning, I recommend you do as many experts suggest - master spindle turning before you start on bowls. Raffan, Clewes, Penta, Rowley, and others say spindle turning teaches the fine tool control that will let you turn ANYTHING and point out that it doesn't necessarily work the other way. I've witnessed this over and over - the people I know personally who are good at spindle turning seem to have a wide repertoire while some I know who specialize on big bowls couldn't turn a thin spindle if they had to - some can't even use a skew chisel. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that, all this is for fun and making big wet shavings fly from a green bowl blank is certainly fun! (and extremely easy) But for me, there are lots of good reasons to turn spindles and generally small things. (I even did a demo once on "The Top Ten Reasons to Turn Small.")

Don't hesitate to ask what might seem like the most trivial questions. There are a bunch of wonderful people who read this forum with a wide range of turning expertise and they all seem eager to help.

BTW, where do you live? If you put that in your profile it will show up in your message headers. Who knows what turner might live just down the road!

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 05-28-2017 at 10:51 AM.

Be sure your GFCI is not required by code before you remove it. You may have to run a new circuit. Or use the ceiling outlet if you have one. I believe that the ceiling receptacle (garage door opener) is not on a GFCI.