Thread: Saw ID help

Saw ID help

First the pictures for the proof. Hit a tool sale on Friday and there was a stack of saws. Asked about the price; $3 each.... So I bought a few.

The pic with 7 are D-95's that somebody cut the bottom horn off of all of them.

The picture with 4 has 2 on the right, I don't know what they are, but they attracted me. The panel saw on the left is a Warranted Superior and the rip saw is a D-15 that looks to have a variable PPI.

Any help for the saw with the brass plate or the one next to it would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fun find, Troy. I have a saw with the metal side plate. The shape of my plate is a bit different than yours. Hard to get the right light for a photo, but the etching is a diamond shape. Indicates it is a Utility 1900. Top left says "Superior", top right says "Cast Steel", bottom left says "St Louis" and I can't make out the bottom right.

I haven't found any info on this saw's maker or dates of manufacturer. If you run across any, please post it.

IMG_0610.jpg IMG_0609.jpg
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 05-30-2017 at 7:43 AM.

Diamond logo is for "Diamond Edge" brand, sold out of a hardware supplier in St. louis...Shipleigh?

Disston, Bishop, Atkins, and a few others made a saw to be sold as the Diamond Edge Brand.

Disston did make a saw like this.....need to remember the model number....

Found some info

Looking closer with better light I found 2 etches. One near the handle says "Palmer & Gayley Hardware and Tools Chester PA". The other etch has an Indian on horseback, No 47, and "The Sioux ". A Google search led me to a 1916 Simonds tool catalog and the saw is shown on page 119 of the PDF.
    Very neat to find this info about my $3 saw.

20170531_010434-resized-1024.jpg20170531_010447-resized-1024.jpgscreenshot_20170531-110031-resized-1024.jpg
    Last edited by Troy Ahner; 06-02-2017 at 8:27 PM. Reason: Add pictures