Thread: Considering the Rikon 70-220VSR Lathe

Considering the Rikon 70-220VSR Lathe

Looking for owner/user feedback on this Lathe.

https://rikontools.com/productpage_70-220VSR.html

Ed, do a google search with this string - Rikon 70-220VSR site:sawmillcreek.org

It will give you the threads on the Rikon.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I bought one new and used it until I decided to by a much larger lathe. I sold it because I have a small shop and the new lathe is large and as they say you can turn small things on a big lathe but you can't turn big things on a small lathe. I think you will enjoy it. I would have kept it if I had the space.

Ed, I had a Rikon 70-220VSR for a year and absolutely loved it. I bought it brand new and never once had a problem with it. Its size fit good in my small shop and I turned things as small as a few miniatures to as large as a 11" platters. It handled out of balance blanks very well. There are three belt positions, the belt is very easy to change and takes only seconds. I really like that the on/off switch and variable speed knob is on the right hand side of the lathe, it felt more intuitive as a right handed person and was easy to get to if I was turning larger pieces. I've recently had a chance to turn on a Jet midi lathe at the Vet's Garage and I have to say I like the Rikon better. It's bed is three or four inches longer so the tail stock slides a little further away when its not needed. The bed is also more beefy. My Rikon is now sitting next to the Jet at the Vets Garage and I do enjoy turning on both it and the Jet when I'm there. I don't think you can go wrong with either.