Thread: Quill Slop

Quill Slop

I recently noticed a drill bit wobbling a bit and checked out my Jet JDP-17MF.

On the body of the chuck the run out was OK at +/- 0.004".

However, the quill has slop and with light sideways pressure moves 0.025". This is too much and there is no adjustment. So, I am looking for a new drill press and currently looking at the Nova DVR and the Powermatic PM2800B.

Does anyone have experience with these and quill slop and run out?

Chuck body runout is meaningless. you need to chuck a piece of drill rod and indicate off that. Better to remove the chuck and indicate the taper to see what is going on. Mark the tapers before removing as they will not match 100% if rotated relative to one another.
    I would pull the chuck and reinstall it at least three times, clocking it 90 degrees each time, to see where it has the least runout.
    Once you do that extend the quill as far as possible and indicate a drill rod. rotate by hand until the quill is pointing max towards the front. use a pipe clamp to bend the quill back towards the column, remove, rotate, and repeat as needed. practice will show you how much to overbend to compensate for springback.
    Are you sure it is not bearings going bad? to check retract quill and indicate chuck body or drillrod and push chuck side to side, front to back. and watch the needle move.
    Bill

Opps my bad, I see the issue is quill slop not spindle slop. You could knurl the quill. Or drill and tap the quill housing for some brass screws.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 05-26-2017 at 8:40 AM.

Have you pulled the switch housing to verify there is no adjustment?

For clarity, I did check the both the chuck body and with a precision rod in the chuck and that is fine.

No, I did not pull the switch to check but have gone over the exploded parts diagram and no adjustment. I really do not want to modify the drill press to attempt a fix. The fix suggested is beyond what I want to do.

I am looking for some feedback from anyone concerning the Powermatic or Nova drill press with respect to run out and quill slop.

Did you unseat and reseat the chuck, Larry? Sometimes that helps...

---

NOVA DVR press is pretty new. I could have missed it, but I don't remember anyone posting previously about ownership.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

"the quill has slop and with light sideways pressure moves 0.025""

POS--replace.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

There is this thread on the Nova about 15 posts below your new thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ds-amp-add-ons

Jim....it is not the chuck as I have mentioned above. It is the quill that is moving in the housing.

My question was does anyone have experience experience with the Nova or Powermatic with respect to run out and quill slop.

Yes, the amount of quill slop is bad.

the nova has a adjustment for the quill right on the front next to the quill lock mine has runout under.001

I have been looking at drill presses and the parts diagrams. The Nova is one of the few with a split head where you can tighten the housing against the quill and snug it up a bit. The Powermatic does not have this feature.

I called Jet Tools and asked if there is a way to reduce the quill slop on my JDP-17MF. There is no real way of doing it. But you can adjust the mechanism used to raise and lower the quill to help a little. I asked if any of the Jet Drill Presses had the split head and the guy did not think so. I asked why not and was told it was the cost.

I think the drill press is likely the most used tool in my shop and want better accuracy. The Nova is at the top of my current list.

What are you making in your wood shop that requires this kind of accuracy? Wood can change 0.025" much over night. If you want a new drill press, go buy one. But for any woodworking task that I've ever done, this kind of accuracy in a drill press is not required.

Charley

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    What are you making in your wood shop that requires this kind of accuracy? Wood can change 0.025" much over night. If you want a new drill press, go buy one. But for any woodworking task that I've ever done, this kind of accuracy in a drill press is not required.

Charley

Contrarily, I only use the drill press when I require accuracy. Otherwise, I just use a hand drill. When I want accurate, repeatable hole positions or depth I go to the drill press. When I want a 13/64" hole I don't want a 7/32" one. Sure wood moves but, there are certainly plenty of joints, joinery or assembly that are fouled by very minor amounts of error. Even dovetails and box joints are fairly specific.

There was a thread where a guy had modified his old Delta to split the head. I know you said you don't really want to fool with that but, I just mention it for others who may come across this thread. Now I'm sorry I mentioned it as I am unable to find the link ;-(
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-27-2017 at 10:30 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

When I want to drill at a certain point, that is where I want to drill. Even with a good straight drill bit, I can see it wobbling. I have had lots of problems making things like wooden hinges and not able to drill accurately enough.

If this Jet drill press is accurate enough for some, it will be up for sale soon.