Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PM 3520B under bed storage

PM 3520B under bed storage

Hi All,

I'm looking to build drawers/shelves under my 3520B. In general I am a better producer than designer. Looking for plans, pics, links and suggestions.

Appreciate the help.

Here's the unit that I made for my Nova Galaxi DVR. There's a low and a upper pieces the low is hinged on the sides and the upper is hinged on the bottom of the doors.
    I have then setting on shelves with a very tight fit so there was no screws or bolts to hold them in place
    NovaGalaxiDVR 1 (2).jpg
    Last edited by Guy Shilling; 05-27-2017 at 12:41 AM.

Don beautiful piece! Thanks.

I started this thread after several unsuccessful archive searches. After posting, I tried searching "Lathe Storage," which yielded much better results.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Shilling View Post
    Here's the unit that I made for my Nova Galaxi DVR. There's a low and a upper pieces the low is hinged on the sides and the upper is hinged on the bottom of the doors.
    I have then setting on shelves with a very tight fit so there was no screws or bolts to hold them in place
    NovaGalaxiDVR 1 (2).jpg
    Excellent Guy! every new piece posted provides new ideas and creativity. Any chance you'll share plans for this beauty?

LOL, the plans were in my head. I could just see what I wanted. The legs of the lathe have places for 2 shelves upper and lower. Made 2 shelves length and width of the legs, then measured between the shelves and legs and built a box with an open front out of the crate the lathe came in. Then did the same with the top cabinet measuring between the top shelf and the underside of the lathe bed and built another box that was about 12" shorter then the width between the legs. The front of the top box slopes to match the lathe legs this way the doors that have piano hinges mounted to the bottoms will stay closed. After that just did a face framing on the fronts using some sassafras I had laying around. The upper doors are flush with the cabinet face, while the bottom doors are 3/8" overlay. One thing I noticed was that sawdust was getting behind the lower doors so I built an "awning" over the tops of these doors to deflect the sawdust. shelves are 3/4" with 1 1/2" face on front and back. the lower cabinet itself (without doors) is 54 1/2" L x 16" D x 14 1/4" H the upper cabinet is 39 1/2" L x [10 1/4" D(@bottom), 8 3/4" D (@top)] x 5 5/8" H
    NovaGalaxiDVR 3.jpgNovaGalaxiDVR 4.jpgNovaGalaxiDVR 5.jpgNovaGalaxiDVR 6.jpgNovaGalaxiDVR 7.jpgNovaGalaxiDVR 8.jpgNovaGalaxiDVR 9.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Mirrer View Post
    I'm looking to build drawers/shelves under my 3520B. In general I am a better producer than designer. Looking for plans, pics, links and suggestions.
    Ha, my under-bed storage just stores shavings:
    lathe_PM_tub.jpg
    The small one stores used sandpaper and such. They were easy to install.

I find this incredibly useful but more capacity than I need. My long term goal is to have a smaller catch bin higher and have a low cabinet under it for storing a few things.

What ever you build, think about how to clear shavings and retrieve things that fall through the ways.

JKJ

My under lathe storage is just like JKJ's however I have a lid on my tub so I keep other things int here besides shavings. The shavings just sit on top of the lid and is easy to brush into a dust pan. Now that I think about it, I do like the idea of just taking the lid off and using it to catch shavings...

Love it John!! To help with things that fall through the ways, I have a 1/8" piece of 4" wide board running length of lathe bed under the ways.

Mine is just a shelf stacked with cinderblocks and bags of sand. I think it needs a third leg in the middle, as the shelf occasionally flexes or vibrates in sync with the workpiece.

Hey Lance, Have you seen this one? http://www.woodcentral.com/shots/shot852.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Jilek View Post
    Hey Lance, Have you seen this one? http://www.woodcentral.com/shots/shot852.shtml
    Very Nice! I have found many pics. I'm hoping someone has plans or a Sketchup file so I can customize.

Looking for storage this is a Husky from HD. Wheels were not installed just for storage under the lathe. Less than $120.00IMG_0479 (Copy).JPG I realize this is a Grizzly lathe, but it might fit under the PM. My floor mats are 3/4" bought on Amazon and the cabinet is four drawer.

I read the title of your post and thought, "I don't think you're going to be able to store that lathe under your bed."

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Crimmins View Post
    I read the title of your post and thought, "I don't think you're going to be able to store that lathe under your bed."
    Hilarious!!!! Of course, you don't know how big my bed is...