Thread: Ceremonial Mace

Ceremonial Mace

Ceremonial Mace. Walnut and Maple, with lazer engraved brass medallion. Approximately 5-1/2" largest head diameter, 1/1/2" shaft, and ~38" long.
    This is a simplified take-off based on some images I saw on the internet. Some folks in Australia made a spectacularly huge one. You can see it here.

HeadMedallion.jpgHeadInsert.jpgKnob.jpgFullOnFloor.jpgFullonCarpet.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 05-24-2017 at 12:06 PM.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Excellent work, Jim!! Great detail, nice follow through with the main form and a consistent curve. The deep cove cut on the bottom Walnut cap is difficult and you did well with it. I am impressed!

Left click my name for homepage link.

I like it and like the idea that it might actually be used in the traditional manner. Think it would have more formality with a dark or gilded shaft. Dark sharkskin would be good.

Beautiful work Jim. Excellent detail.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Excellent workmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Excellent work, Jim!! Great detail, nice follow through with the main form and a consistent curve. The deep cove cut on the bottom Walnut cap is difficult and you did well with it. I am impressed!
    Thanks John! High praise coming from you. There ARE mistakes, but I won't point them out... It was definitely a learning experience. I would do things differently next time around.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I like it and like the idea that it might actually be used in the traditional manner. Think it would have more formality with a dark or gilded shaft. Dark sharkskin would be good.
    I'm not sure if you mean that it could actually be used as a weapon, but it would be rather formidable as a club, yes? It weighs a LOT.

Sharkskin huh? Interesting idea...
    I should do some small models.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    Excellent workmanship.
    Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    Beautiful work Jim. Excellent detail.
    Thanks guys! It was fun. I really do like spindle work.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Underwood View Post
    Thanks guys! It was fun. I really do like spindle work.
    Spindle work is my favorite too! Especially long and thin - I've used every inch of the PM2530b with the bed extension and with both the head and tailstocks as far as possible and still let the clamp work.

If you need any more 2x2 maple 32" long or so I have some extra - stop and visit if you get up towards Knoxville.

What will this be used for, graduation ceremonies? Threatening freshmen?

JKJ

It's a fancy weapon and symbol of a weapon. Kinda like a gold plated pistol. Used like a big beer bottle

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Spindle work is my favorite too! Especially long and thin - I've used every inch of the PM2530b with the bed extension and with both the head and tailstocks as far as possible and still let the clamp work.

If you need any more 2x2 maple 32" long or so I have some extra - stop and visit if you get up towards Knoxville.

What will this be used for, graduation ceremonies? Threatening freshmen?

JKJ
    I think they were using it at the graduation ceremony. I'm not sure. I didn't really ask...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Very nicely done, now there is something else to add to my list of things to try turning.