Thread: Power router lift

Power router lift

I am considering a MLCS Router power lift or the one by Next Wave Automation Ready 2 Lift. Anyone have one and want to tell me about your experience with it?

https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shop...rlift_pro.html

http://www.rockler.com/ready2lift-ro...-rockler-plate

I am glad you should ask! I went back and forth on this very decision for months and finally bought a Ready2Lift from Next Wave Automation (Directly) on 3/24/17. I finally reached out on 4/7/17 after no updates and they finally shipped it that day. Once I finally received the unit, I found that none of the inserts (it comes with one, and I bought the other two sizes) would fit in the router plate (the plate was cut slightly undersized) and that the router clamps were drilled incorrectly. The holes were off-center by a wide margin making it unable to mount my router. In addition, they sent the wrong firmware on the control screen; the “Fence” buttons operated the lift and the “Lift” buttons did nothing. This seemed like an easy fix, but the new firmware broke the touch plate zero function (which is the main reason I bought this over the MLCS).

I have been working with one of the engineers that designed the product (through several beta versions of firmware) and their standard support since I received it on 4/7. It is very common to go 5-10 days without any response from their support team. On 4/21 I finally reached out to the CEO directly for help, but he never returned my e-mail. Finally, on 4/29 I received a new router plate, which fit all of the inserts I originally received, but the new router clamps still weren’t drilled correctly. (They are the silver ones in the link below; the black are the original.) I did not feel like fighting the clamps again, so I drilled the holes out to be slightly larger and used a smaller screw to get enough play to mount my router. All of the physical mounting issues are now resolved.

As of this time, I do have the lift installed in a cast iron router table extension on my SawStop PCS, and have used it a few times. The basic function works nicely; I used it this last weekend to make some 5’’ long x ¾’’ wide cuts .630’’ deep, 1/16th at a time. It was nice to easily move it up/down with a tap on the screen and not have to stop, adjust, start, cut, and repeat. Now, it is usable, but the touch plate function still does not work. The unit always detects a connection between the magnet and touch plate, even if the touch plate is disconnected. This happens with every firmware I have tested, except the stock firmware (Which had the button control backwards as mentioned above). Also, no matter the firmware, the touch plate will short out on the body of the router lift. The magnet attaches to the router bit or collet, but it conducts from there to the router body and subsequently to the lift. The engineer suggested I need to put tape down on the plate to compensate, but then I have to deal with the offset of the tape because the touch plate is no longer flush.

Overall, I wish I had bought the MLCS unit. I have been on the verge of sending this back several times, but I had to buy a router table that fit this unit, and it will not fit the MLCS, so I would be wasting that money as well. After weeks of fighting, the only function still not working is the touch plate, which is the single reason I wanted this unit over the MLCS. I wish you luck in you endeavor! I’d love to hear your experience with either one.

PS: here are some images of the parts I had that caused me grief. http://imgur.com/a/KlQAl
    Last edited by Adam Merritt; 05-23-2017 at 8:36 AM. Reason: Adding picture links

It is interesting, I am looking for MLCS Power Lift for a long time, from they first model. Just a few review on internet you can find, looks like not very popular device. I still can not find router compatibility on homepage.
    This is why it stop me from buying it.
    I want to combine Incra fence with this lift - should be dream combination in precision and easy to work with?
    Is anybody have it and use this lift to give review or thoughts about it?

Thank you,
    Ed.

Designed to fit round routers motors that are 3‑1/4 HP, and 4.2". Reducer sleeves are available for common 3.5", and 3.25" diameter motors.
    The diameter is the important part to determine what will fit. Here is an except from the MLCS product page. Same thing applies to Ready2Lift. I have an Incra TS-LS Joinery package and it is great to use with the powered lift. On a seperate note, the engineer I have been working with at NW has attached his Incra fence to the Ready2Route for a pretty slick combination. It gives you the electronic fence positioning with the greatness of the Incra fence and accessories. Here are a few pictures he shared with me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've had the Ready 2 Lift for a couple years now and I'm pretty happy with it. I like the convenience of of just tapping the screen to adjust height, makes repeatability easy.

Adam, just curious if you tried rotating your inserts on your original plate? Mine only fit in one orientation, but they do fit.

Quote Originally Posted by George Werner View Post
    I've had the Ready 2 Lift for a couple years now and I'm pretty happy with it. I like the convenience of of just tapping the screen to adjust height, makes repeatability easy.

Adam, just curious if you tried rotating your inserts on your original plate? Mine only fit in one orientation, but they do fit.
    I'm glad to hear you've had good experiences with it. My biggest problem was getting all the initial issues resolved; now, I just need the touch plate to work. Does your touch plate short out against the router plate/frame? Also, do you have the Ready2Route as well?

As far as the plates, yes I did make sure and try all 8 positions. In only one position would they "align", but the cutout in the plate was too small. All three inserts had the same issue; I could get 3 ears into place, but the 4th wouldn't seat. They sent a new router plate and insert, so I tested the new insert on the old plate and had the same problem, but all 4 inserts fit the new plate. My guess is the end-mill they used in machining the plate must have been worn and cut a slightly undersized piece. These pictures may help in case I'm not describing the fit well.

Did the engineer tell you what was needed to mount the INCRA fence to the Ready-2-Route fence?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Baker36 View Post
    Did the engineer tell you what was needed to mount the INCRA fence to the Ready-2-Route fence?
    It has been so long, I'm not really sure how he said he did it, but I do have pictures. I'm assuming he just used a channel on the back with t-nuts, but I could be wrong.