Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly G0656 8" jointer perpetually backordered

Grizzly G0656 8" jointer perpetually backordered

So after months of perusing Craigslist unsuccessfully in the Portland OR area for a reasonable 8" jointer with a Byrd cutterhead I saw the Grizzly add for free shipping on the G0656 8" jointer. When shipped with a Byrd head (seperately) came in at my upper end of my $1300 budget so I placed an order on February 18th (along with everyone else I suppose). They called the next day to say it was backordered and will ship mid-March - no problem for me. So I called up in mid-March and they told me there was another delay - new guaranteed ship date of May 17th. Seemed way too far out, but I suppose I can wait a bit longer and focus on non- jointer related projects right? ( if I finish all the projects that currently "justify" the tool before it gets here than I don't "need" it anymore - yikes!) after excitedly telling the wife this was the week it was really coming in, you can imagine my frustration when after calling Grizzly today I was told not to worry that it would be here in July....... No disrespect to Grizzly's friendly customer service, but it seems like there must be quite a few out there getting pretty impatient right now.

Seems like my options are pretty limited here. I did see a DJ 20 on Craigslist, but I wonder if I will start regretting that 1-1/2 hp motor vs. 3 hp and the extra space it takes up in my tiny small garage hobby shop.

Alright, frustration vented for now - time to go enjoy a nice spring evening. Maybe I will even get around to planting a walnut sapling so I have a nice full size tree to saw up and run over new jointer when it finally arrives in July of 2050

Bummer to hear about the delays - that's the worst!

I'd give up on them and buy a used 8" or bigger. My 12" Northfield has essentially the same footprint as my old 8" shop fox.

I also don't think a spiral cutterhead is necessary, especially on a jointer. I sold my 8" for $750. If you got one for that you'd have money leftover for other shop stuff.

I'm definitely superstitious so I'd take that as a sign.
    Aj

Blog Entries
    This is the shop-gods giving you a chance to change to the G0490X with parallelogram beds.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Powermatic offered their PM 60 jointer with anything from a 3/4hp to a 1-1/2hp motor. My 15" planer has a 3hp motor, so I can't fathom why you would need that much power on an 8" jointer unless you're planning to take a 1/4" or bigger cut on an 8" board. It sounds like Grizzly must be having some production problems. I wonder if their July arrival date will prove to be accurate. If you need a jointer anytime soon, I would sure be looking at the used market, or checking out the prices of jointers from other manufacturers. I hope you find something soon.

funny you would say that I have a G0490X ordered it is on back order also. I talked to them today and they are as frustrated as their customers. He said they have over 1100 on order due to come in from this week until the end of aug. The next date they shipper as giving them is june 7 but he is not promising anything. I looked a week or so back and they are out of ever jointer on the site but three I think. I am just a hobbist so I will just wait. I can't find anything equal to the grizzly even close to the price. I don't like to wait but i will survive.

Good point about the motor HP, sounds like it is just fine. I will just take my time and keep an eye on Craigslist knowing that I always have a backup in July.

Until then I suppose my .25 hp (.3 if I just had my coffee ) Veritas jointer will have to suffice. Thanks for the input.

Ryan, I'm just north of Portland, you could use my jointer until something works out for you. Or you could joint the Oregon guilde. PM me if interested.
    Random ROG

FYI, I have a DJ20 from the early 90's. It runs on a 1.5hp motor, wired for 110v and works fine. Knives are dull, haven't been changed in years dull... and it still has plenty of power.

My 20 year old 8" grizzly jointer had 1.5 hp motor and never had need for more power..... think if did would of took that as sign to change blades.

I have the Powermatic 60 HH and it came with a 2HP motor, plenty of power to push hard maple at nearly full 8" capacity. Really nice jointer. Also have the 15HH planer with 3 HP. Both really nice tools.

I was in the same boat and found a nice pristine used Powermatic 60 for a really fair price. Right now my power tool needs are a planer and a grinder and I am done with power tools

I am also waiting for the same jointer as you. I was also excited and then now let down... Another month and a half.... Ugh... I don't know where you guys get all these great deals on jointers but in Minnesota there are None I have looked for a long time and I live 4 hours north of the twin cities even if there was a good deal I couldn't beat anyone to get it. Grizzly is really my only option. People want new prices on very used equipment here...

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron carter View Post
    I am also waiting for the same jointer as you. I was also excited and then now let down... Another month and a half.... Ugh... I don't know where you guys get all these great deals on jointers but in Minnesota there are None I have looked for a long time and I live 4 hours north of the twin cities even if there was a good deal I couldn't beat anyone to get it. Grizzly is really my only option. People want new prices on very used equipment here...
    I swear aliens must be abducting 8inch pointers, looked about six months for mine

Roger, thanks for the offer, I will let you know if things change but right now the jointer is a time saver that I can live without for a few months while my 1500 BF of walnut is in the solar kiln. The Oregon Guild is an interesting option as they are literally just up the road, I just have never worked with them.

I second the high prices on used tools option- the seller with the 15+ year old DJ 20 is firm at $900 (plus the hastle of loading that 550 machine into a pickup truck I have to borrow) when grizzly will deliver that same machine (with some upgrades) to my door for only $150 more. Unfortunately Portland is not much better for options than Minnesota - either a 4 hour drive to Seattle on a machine that may not pan out or a well worn industrial surplus machine that is not very flat and takes too much work to restore.

With all that, I too agree that the aliens have obducted all the jointers - I will keep my eye out for a wooden UFO