Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lawn Mower - Re-New or Replace?

I just used my 21+ year old Honda Harmony (w/blade clutch) today. It takes about 2 hours to mow my lawn. Best mower I’ve ever owned. Sometimes I look at the new models and dread the day I might have to buy a replacement. If it ever conks out, I’ll look into having the motor rebuilt or purchase a new motor. They sure don’t make ‘em like they used to. I’ve replaced a few sparks plugs, one pair of drive wheels and the speed-shift cable. That’s it.

Draining your tank and leaving the carburetor dry all winter—not a good idea. I’m a big fan of Seafoam. Got some bad gas in my Harley one time and it saved me the trouble of dealing with that issue.

That's what a very reputable dealer recommended unless you can easily get ethanol free fuel. I've been doing it for 15 years now and its worked out well for me.

I have a Honda that I use to mow about 11,000 sq. ft. per week. It is over 15 years old. I use middle grade gasoline because my trimmer requires a higher octane so I use it in all my gasoline powered tools with no problems. My gas has ethanol in it. Until electric mowers have a good long history of being relatively reliable, I'll stick with gas.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

as far as reliability, the electric takes the cake for sure. all you need are a few wires, a couple switches and an electric motor. no gearing, no pumps, no oil, no linkages. that's why i have the older ones, no real electronics to go out.

I have a trimmer mower with B&S engine, the carb plugged up constantly, finally I figured out that I have to run it out of gas. Now there is no gas to plug up the carb, and it will run when I need it.