Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Self-driving cars--seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    You're making my point. That although it's a right, we've lost it by not using it. My point was only in answer on the "constitutionality" of mandating no cars with human drivers. That's all. It can happen. If you don't want it taken from you, like the right to drive and your gun rights, fight it from the beginning.
    Then I suppose we can agree that driving is a privilege and not a "right". Of course, if you want to work towards making it a right, you can advocate for a constitutional amendment to make it a right.

I doubt if it would succeed because regulation of the highways and of people driving on them is necessary to prevent anarchy.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Then I suppose we can agree that driving is a privilege and not a "right". Of course, if you want to work towards making it a right, you can advocate for a constitutional amendment to make it a right.

I doubt if it would succeed because regulation of the highways and of people driving on them is necessary to prevent anarchy.

Mike
    I will continue to treat rights as rights. Like I said, I wouldn't get a carry permit, and would just carry "illegally." I've also done civil protest to regain lost gun rights (and won) by carrying where it had been outlawed. Was it my right to carry there, or not? Laws said no. I proved yes.

The Supreme Court.

Such as:

SMITH Vs. THOMPSON 154 SE 579 (1930)

The right of a citizen to travel on the public highways and to transport his property thereon in the ordinary course of life and business is a common law right which he has under his right to enjoy life and liberty, to acquire and possess property and to pursue happiness in safety. It includes in so doing to use the ordinary and usual conveyances of the day, and under the existing modes of travel includes the right to drive a horse drawn carriage or wagon thereon or to operate an automobile thereon for the usual and ordinary purposes of life and business. It is not a mere privilege. Like the privilege of moving a house on the street or operating a business stand in the street or of transporting persons or property for hire along the street which a city may permit or prohibit at will.”

I understand. I violated the "law" until we got constitutional carry in AZ. Now you can carry openly, concealed, whatever. We already had such a law but the cities and courts ignored it, so a few years ago we had a good clarification on the law that made it impossible to ignore.
    I will continue to treat rights as rights. Like I said, I wouldn't get a carry permit, and would just carry "illegally." I've also done civil protest to regain lost gun rights (and won) by carrying where it had been outlawed. Was it my right to carry there, or not? Laws said no. I proved yes.
    These are comments best kept to yourself. Of course, now they are out there....

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    These are comments best kept to yourself. Of course, now they are out there....
    These comments are best told openly to everyone so that other Americans know they can and should resist. I won't license a right. I will ignore unconstitutional laws. I will back you up if you do also, however I can.

I suggest you drive without a license and when you're arrested, use the defense that driving is a "right". If you really believe it's a "right," live your beliefs. Don't just talk about them.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I suggest you drive without a license and when you're arrested, use the defense that driving is a "right". If you really believe it's a "right," live your beliefs. Don't just talk about them.

Mike
    I do. Read my other posts. I've put myself on the line for our rights.

I do. Read my other posts. I've put myself on the line for our rights.
    I think all states will issue you an ID card that looks like a driver's license except it doesn't convey the privilege of driving. It's accepted as ID anywhere a driver's license would be accepted for ID, such as getting on a plane.

Go get one of those if you need an ID, and stick it to the man. When you get stopped, tell the cop that you don't need a driver's license because driving is your inalienable right and not a privilege. If you want to make it really interesting, also tell him or her that you're carrying.

People believe all kinds of things - doesn't make them true. But if you really believe that driving is your inalienable "right" I encourage you to live your belief and get rid of that license that you don't need.

Mike

I think all states will issue you an ID card that looks like a driver's license except it doesn't convey the privilege of driving. It's accepted as ID anywhere a driver's license would be accepted for ID, such as getting on a plane.

Go get one of those if you need an ID, and stick it to the man. When you get stopped, tell the cop that you don't need a driver's license because driving is your inalienable right and not a privilege. If you want to make it really interesting, also tell him or her that you're carrying.

People believe all kinds of things - doesn't make them true. But if you really believe that driving is your inalienable "right" I encourage you to live your belief and get rid of that license that you don't need.

Mike
    I don't have that either. I just use my passport in the few cases where I need an ID. I do not have ID of any kind on my person on a normal day. Catch up with me and ask for my wallet, I'll show you.

My bank account doesn't have an SSN on it, since that's also not a legal requirement.

I don't have that either. I just use my passport in the few cases where I need an ID. I do not have ID of any kind on my person on a normal day. Catch up with me and ask for my wallet, I'll show you.

My bank account doesn't have an SSN on it, since that's also not a legal requirement.
    That's good. You can send your driver's license back to the DMV and tell them that driving is your inalienable right and you don't want it any more.

Make sure you report back here what your experience is the first time you're stopped and asked for your driver's license.

Mike

Businesses asking my wife for her SSN has been her #1 gripe for 20 if not 30 years. She tries to explain to them they can not ask for and use it legally but usually it just comes down to give it to them or do business with someone else because "That's what we require".

I agree with 'fighting the good fight' but it usually is a lonely battle.

Wow...

I've seen some threads go off the rails, but who'da thunk a thread could go from self driving cars to the straw man?

Mike

Unsubscribed!

signed
    Flabbersted.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Wait! This was about cars?

I am all for the cops taking drunks off the roads before they kill. I do not think a person has a right to drive drunk with no license.
    Bil lD.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I am all for the cops taking drunks off the roads before they kill. I do not think a person has a right to drive drunk with no license.
    Bil lD.
    Are you suggesting that a person with a license has the right to drive drunk?????????????????