Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Self-driving cars--seriously?

Blog Entries
    I'm betting big groups like truck drivers will lobby hard for required drivers even if they aren't needed. Although that'd be a boring as .... job.

What do rail engineers do? Why do we need them? Is that a computer trust issue? Sounds like the most boring job ever.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    Well, selfishly at least, the more boring crap (grocery shopping, picking up screws at BORG, etc) that I rid my life of, the better. But, I'm not a clerk, so what do I know?
    Jeff Bezos is all over that. Rest assured.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    I'm betting big groups like truck drivers will lobby hard for required drivers even if they aren't needed. Although that'd be a boring as .... job.

What do rail engineers do? Why do we need them? Is that a computer trust issue? Sounds like the most boring job ever.
    SPOT. ON.

Someone with skin in the game (Taxi Driver) is someone I would trust so much more than a "Monitor". A rail engineer is the PERFECT example.

But to get back on point- Kiss Kiss, Squeeze, Squeeze.

MMMmmmmmmm.

How does this magical future work? Many people, myself included, already use Uber and Lyft for a lot of reasons. Both are always better than a taxi. My worst Lyft experience was with...a taxi driver doing something on the side. I'm not allowed to say what his car smelled like, but I hope I can say that he drove like an idiot. The regular everyday Uber/Lyft drivers have skin in the game; they know they need to maintain their car, because they won't just be given another from the pool. They know that their service reflects on them, while a taxi driver just reflect on his brand of taxi. Uber/Lyft drivers are held to a much higher standard, and it shows every time I get into one (except that one time). Taxi drivers have no reason to do anything right because they just go find a job at another taxi company. And most of the companies clearly don't even care what their drivers do.

I have a friend/business associate who sold his cars and uses ONLY ride-share service to get around. He's in finance; he can do math, and reports he's saving a lot of money. And not dealing with a car's issues at all. We ourselves were SOOO close to getting a Waymo self-driving van, but they decided we were two miles too far outside their desired support area.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-27-2018 at 8:22 AM.

The most enlightening thing in this thread is that there are people who genuinely believe their personal opinion is THE deciding factor in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    The most enlightening thing in this thread is that there are people who genuinely believe their personal opinion is THE deciding factor in the matter.
    Where's the "like button" when you need it?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    That, and people who define "fallacy" as "anything they disagree with".
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

My concern with self driving cars is how they perform in the winter with snow and ice on the roads.
    How do they know where the lanes are? I know GPS is a big factor, but that's only good for a few feet or so.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    My concern with self driving cars is how they perform in the winter with snow and ice on the roads.
    How do they know where the lanes are? I know GPS is a big factor, but that's only good for a few feet or so.
    How do you know where the lanes are? Start there and work forward...
    But one real problem is keeping snow/water/dirt/salt/bugs/etc off the sensors when there isn't a captive human cleaning slave along for the ride.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Like I got time to read all this

Speaking of GPS-- from what I gather, all SDC's need GPS. Ok, so there's a guy here in our town who's developing new electric generating (among other things) technology, has a radio show on the weekend, and recently he asked an interesting question: What if while we're all worried about N Korea nuking us, what if all the testing is actually for something else, like say, a way at lobbing an EMP at a few communication satellites?

And really, the GPS in my Mustang quits working about 30% time I drive the thing.

So all you guys, go ahead and 'embrace the future'... Do I expect to change it? Nope, but doesn't mean I have to like it, OR embrace it. I'll just treat SDC's the same way I've treated laptop cameras, "smart" phones, Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, instagram, snapchat, Alexa, Suri and anything else Apple, Windows, 8, 10, 11, 12, grocery store data-mining 'discount' cards-- Not having any of it.

And when I'm a few years older sitting in my rocker watching the news, laughing at the worldwide traffic jam caused by SDC's- and their passengers- not knowing what to do because the GPS system's cheese slid off it's cracker... I'll be back to say "told ya!" And if not, no big deal to me. Because regardless of the future, rest assured that I'LL be driving my cars, boats, motorcycles, ATV's and even my lawnmower, and NOT some Dell wannabee...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    My concern is that auto manufacturers by and large build cars for metropolitan areas as it is, but I live in the Pigeon River State Forest and the existing nanny systems like anti skid and traction control do not work in the woods now, so more of the same will only be worse. I am a contractor as well and often driving in uncharted areas, no roads at all, as well as being a sportsman who spends as much time getting away from "civilization" as I possibly can. For me less is more........

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    How do you know where the lanes are? Start there and work forward...
    But one real problem is keeping snow/water/dirt/salt/bugs/etc off the sensors when there isn't a captive human cleaning slave along for the ride.
    Sensor wipers? Self cleaning sensors? Lots of possibilities. I'm sure they'll figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post

.... Because regardless of the future, rest assured that I'LL be driving my cars, boats, motorcycles, ATV's and even my lawnmower, and NOT some Dell wannabee...
    I agree with this 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    My concern is that auto manufacturers by and large build cars for metropolitan areas as it is, but I live in the Pigeon River State Forest and the existing nanny systems like anti skid and traction control do not work in the woods now, so more of the same will only be worse. I am a contractor as well and often driving in uncharted areas, no roads at all, as well as being a sportsman who spends as much time getting away from "civilization" as I possibly can. For me less is more........
    I doubt anyone is seriously suggesting that manually-driven vehicles will completely disappear.
    But at some point it may become much more difficult to get a driver's license.