Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Rabbit Laser

Question Questions about Rabbit Laser

Good day all,
    First of all first post yay
    Second, looks like this tread has died so I'm bumping it.
    Next, Thinking about buying a rabbit, I would love to get the RL-80-1290 but unfortunately I will be running this out of my house and do not have 240, so I'm looking at a RL-60-9060 with the 80w upgrade. (sigh losing some cutting space). I digress, I am wondering if I am making the correct decision an questioning why more people do not buy them. The price seams very reasonable and the support from what I have read is A+. Software I have read is lacking but I'm not sure if that has changed in the last few years. I do not live close ~1,200 miles away, so I cant go a look at one or pick it up.

I am concerned since I will be doing this out of my garage that I may surge the switches as I have read on other forms. I have not checked the breakers. (Anybody that cuts at home, with an industrial cutter, have any advice about this cutting at home i would be grateful )
    A little about what I will be doing: I am a one man band thinking about starting a side business doing laser cutting for the local hobbyists in the area, and doing cutting for the local school's to tech students about engineering. the time on the cutter will be very up and down. Ie. I will have 1 week of very heavy use then 2 weeks or so of no use at all. Heavy use meaning a lot of balsa, cardboard and plexi glass, all different jobs but all the same material during that week.

I know the rabbit is not the fastest but I cant afford the speedy, maybe another time. I will not do any raster just cutting. I am waiting on a quote form universal lasers, and a lot of searching on the forms have pushed me away from the other 2 main brands ( Epilog and Full spectrum) although I have read that Epilog has one of the best software. I have talked to a few other laser owners 2 have Universal and love it and the other has an Epilog (have only talked to customers and they say they like his cuts) so I would be a new cutter in town with the rabbit.

So again with all that being said. Am I heading in the right direction or do I need to make a U-Turn.

Kristopher posted this to an old thread and I pulled it out and made it it's own topic to make it easier.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

We bought a RL-60-9060 last year when we started our business. Overall we have been happy with the machine. There is a bit of a learning curve to learn how to use Corel and Lasercut but it does happen over time. It has helped grow our business to the point that we just bought an Epilog as we needed the greater speed and extra capacity of a second CO2 machine. I will list out some pros and cons for you.

Pros:
    Price was reasonable
    Owner came out and set it up and showed us the basics
    Speed is adequate for vast majority of what we do
    Quality of engraved work is very good
    Parts availabilty if needed
    Reasonably easy to use

Cons:
    Software crashes from time to time and not the most user friendly
    Cabinet fooprint is fairly large
    Not the easiest to clean lens and mirrors but not bad
    Supplied vac system really is not strong enough
    Rotary is not the easiest to set up and use
    Sometimes hard to get immediate tech help due to only a few people there (but helpful when you get a hold of them!)

All in all we are very happy with our purchase from them. Is it on par with an Epilog or Trotec? No. Nor is the price. For a large # of people doing small production work and hobby I would definitely recommend one and would buy another if I didn't need the speed. We will be using ours just like always in addition to the Epilog we just purchased.
    Epilog Fusion M2
    Rabbit RL-60-9060
    Lasercut 5.3
    Corel Draw X7
    Wisely Type III Fiber 20w
    EZCAD 2.8
    PhotoGrav
    Ricoh 3110 Sublimation
    Zing vinyl cutting plotter

About rather having a 1290-- If you have 120 then you do have 240 in your house. It's not that big a deal to add a dedicated circuit to run the machine. Even if you use a 120v model, it's best to have a dedicated line for that too, so if you're going to run a line, might as well go 240!

It's just a matter of adding a 240 breaker and the wiring. If you don't have room in your breaker box for another breaker, you just need to add a sub panel, which is probably a good idea anyway, as it can be mounted near your machine. If business grows and you need to add equipment, like a compressor and/or another machine, power to run them is already in place.

If you can do this yourself it's around $200 or so is all. If need be, an electrician will cost more obviously, but the few extra bucks isn't all that much in the grand scheme of things
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    About rather having a 1290-- If you have 120 then you do have 240 in your house. It's not that big a deal to add a dedicated circuit to run the machine. Even if you use a 120v model, it's best to have a dedicated line for that too, so if you're going to run a line, might as well go 240!
    Unfortunately I rent a house so not sure the cost would be worth it to install a new line. I have read you can run a line outside the walls to reduce cost but not sure how much cost that would be.

As far as wiring is concerned it is as easy as running one more wiring strand. If you have a single wide type breaker you can remove it and put a double in it's place.
    Epilog Fusion M2
    Rabbit RL-60-9060
    Lasercut 5.3
    Corel Draw X7
    Wisely Type III Fiber 20w
    EZCAD 2.8
    PhotoGrav
    Ricoh 3110 Sublimation
    Zing vinyl cutting plotter

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Smithwick View Post

Cons:
    Software crashes from time to time and not the most user friendly
    Cabinet fooprint is fairly large
    Not the easiest to clean lens and mirrors but not bad
    Supplied vac system really is not strong enough
    Patrick,

I have read that there is supplementary software out there, all I remember is something about lasers[something].org and they have some open sorce software. Do you have any experience with that? (sorry i am not more exact I have to look it up)

My 80W rabbit 1290 is almost 4 years old and it has worked perfectly until a month ago. After reading rabbitlaser usa FAQ and doing some troubleshooting, I replaced the tube and power supply and am back up and running. I run the lasercut driver right out of Corel X4 which is easier than using Lasercut alone. We often make use of the large workspace and often need just a little bigger stage 1200x900mm is not quite 36x48" For the money I am very happy with the Rabbit laser, I can put up with the software glitches that comes with Chinese lasers. I would get one of the big three lasers if they had bigger stages.
    Rabbit 1290 80W RECI
    Shopbot PRS Alpha
    Aspire, Corel, Signlab, and many more
    Gerber Edge and 2 vinyl cutters
    plus a shop full of woodworking and metalworking machines

Kris you mention you have a rent house. You might think about your situation more before you buy a laser. Upgrading electrical circuits, cutting holes in walls for vent hosing, and the other things that go with a laser install. You might get that laser installed and then have a landlord evict you when he finds out. If I was your landlord I wouldn't be cool with that. Better talk with him before you do anything.

Messaged him this morning. The place I rent has a 3 car garage with a door to the back yard that I plan on just opening during the job and run a flexible vent housing to the outside not sure if this is enough. I just asked for a 240 upgrade to one wall giving me 4 240 outlets. From what I read on the web page Rabbit said you need 3 240v ( Cutter, Fan, chiller) and one extra for my EV :-) and if questions arise I could always blame it on the EV.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Winter View Post
    ...and the other things that go with a laser install.
    What other things?

How fast is 36,000mm/min cutting speed? How does this compare to other cutters out there? I did a quick search but my google foo is not that good these days.

Kris;
    That's close to 2 feet per sec- maybe cut paper but that's about it. Chinese steppers start to get cranky at that speed and weird things happen.
    Best Regards,
    George
    Laserarts

Quote Originally Posted by Kristopher Powers View Post
    Messaged him this morning. The place I rent has a 3 car garage with a door to the back yard that I plan on just opening during the job and run a flexible vent housing to the outside not sure if this is enough. I just asked for a 240 upgrade to one wall giving me 4 240 outlets. From what I read on the web page Rabbit said you need 3 240v ( Cutter, Fan, chiller) and one extra for my EV :-) and if questions arise I could always blame it on the EV.

What other things?
    For one your renters insurance won't cover damage if you have an accident. You will be personally responsible for replacing his house and any property damaged. The venting out an open door is also a bad idea, the wind will blow it right back in. Better to cut a hole in a window or door and properly vent it. Those and the electrical are the biggest things. If your landlord is cool with it and you get proper insurance, and a properly licensed electrician to do the work, you should be ok. If you wire it yourself you void the insurance in most cases when the electrical is being used for business purposes. The electrians insurance takes responsibility for bad wiring if he's licensed and something goes wrong. As a point of reference we are in a commercial space, cost about $500-$600 for a licensed electrian to wire our last laser, fuse box had free space and it was about 20 feet away. Yours will cost more to wire at 240v. I don't have my costs yet to wire my Chinese laser I ordered last month, but I'm budgeting close to double with all the converters and such electrican said I may need based on paper specs, plus the extra grounding.
    Last edited by Keith Winter; 08-13-2015 at 6:43 PM.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

I wouldn't worry about cut speed Chris you'll never achieve it. As George said only way you go that fast is cutting paper. Normally you'll be cutting at a fraction of that speed, laser power is your limiting factor when cutting.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

I'm very happy so far with my 6040 60 watt cut speeds are good and it engraves well . i THink you only need 240 for the laser the chiller and exhaust are 110. don't bother with the 3000 chiller get the 5000. my 60 watt cuts 4 mm Baltic Birch at 12 mmps. A flex hose out the door will work ok as long as no wind blowing it back into building lol
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 08-13-2015 at 6:51 PM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander