Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hidden dovetail shop cabinet design

I'll preface this with - do whatever makes you happiest. Potentially, you will be living with this cabinet for years. What's most important to you?

For me, my first priority would be to not have to open cabinet doors to get to the drawers.
    My next priority would be to have the drawer fronts and door fronts in the same plane.
    If just getting the thing done was high on my list, I'd probably go with inset drawers, and overlay doors and be done with it - compromising on my second priority.
    If I wasn't in a rush to knock out the project, I'd add 1 1/4" face frame around the outside with 3/4" rails for the bottom two shelves and go with two inset 5 piece doors and inset solid front drawers.

IMG_2431.jpgGot the doors installed waiting for the weather to break the humidity has been high the last few days. Don't want to sand and finish until it gets down to 20%. Still don't know what I want to do with the drawer.
    Rick

But Michael, I don't see any dovetails

Giving those dovetails a try is something on my long list of things to try someday. I have a couple of carcasses where it might have looked better with that particular dovetail joint rather than the fully exposed dovetail joint that I used.

Your corners are very tight, good job!

Thank you all for your replies, comments and suggestions. Even after a week at the beach I was no closer to a decision, so I decided to hang it up and live with it for a little bit as is before I go any further.

So so here it is:

IMG_0024.jpg

A most excellent idea!

Andrew: These aren't too bad to do, either..
    opened up.JPG
    Though these are just finger joints...
    test fit.JPG
    Not that hard to do...

Steven,

What did you use to fine tune the mitres?

i used a chisel with 45 degree blocks above and below as the pine, especially at the thin portion above the tails, threatened to tear out. Do you use a plane?

I find the the clean look of the mitre very pleasing and will be doing more of these after this first attempt turned out. I used some scrap reclaimed wood with nail holes and dings for this test so it will live in the shop. My lady liked it enough that a spice cabinet of similar design will be next.

Michael

I just free-hand a chisel. powered by my chin, as I look straight down.

Another trick would be to almost close the miters up, and use a fine saw to match then together.
    corner joints.JPG
    Box wasn't all that big..
    DSCF0015.JPG
    Glued up nicely, though....

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Andrew: These aren't too bad to do, either..
    They are very well done!

Though these are just finger joints...

JUST? JUST? I was told that finger joints are even harder to do by hand and make them look good. Of course, yours are hidden there, but I vaguely remember seeing some nice looking finger joints that you did by hand.

Not that hard to do...
    It still looks hard to me. I do intend to eventually try it. Do you think that it is easier to do the hidden dovetails or the hidden finger joints?

I find the finger ones easier to do...

As for the "exposed" hand cut finger/box joints..
    front view.jpg
    I might get the hang of them...someday...