Thread: Dang it !

Dang it !

I just realized that 1/2 my collection of tool rests from my Jet 1442 are too short to be used on my new Jet 1642 .... the post is the same diameter @ 1"

Can I get some Recommended sources? Perhaps a Creeker that makes these?

Thanks,
    Tim Boger

I think there is a large group of us that sing the praises of Robust tool rests. Really hard to beat.

Hey Dwight

Thanks for the response, I also have heard good things about the Robust products. I'll check it out.
    Tim

Can you cut the posts off and re-weld longer 1" posts on it? Otherwise, see Dwight's post.
    USMC '97-'01

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Boger View Post
    I just realized that 1/2 my collection of tool rests from my Jet 1442 are too short to be used on my new Jet 1642 .... the post is the same diameter @ 1"

Can I get some Recommended sources? Perhaps a Creeker that makes these?

Thanks,
    Tim Boger
    Tim, since they the same 1" post diameter I would consider welding a short length of 1" rod to the bottom of the posts. That would be pretty quick and easy.

You ever get to East TN? Come visit, and IF the posts are steel and not cast iron, bring your tool rests. I have welding equipment and I'm not afraid to use it. I even have some 1" steel rod stock. (I don't have experience welding steel to cast iron but we could try brazing it.)

If buying new tool rests, I'm one solidly in the Robust Rest fan club. I think I have six now. If you have lesser rests and if you can swing it right now, getting new Robusts would be better than patching the other rests!

JKJ

Hi John

Very generous offer, not likely that I'd be up that way ... though I'd sure like to. Once every couple of years I get the opportunity to ride my motorcycle up in the Smokey Mountains. This year my play money went towards a new lathe.

I'll check around here for a welding option, I'd love to continue to use the rests I'm so familiar with.

Thanks for your feedback,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Tim, since they the same 1" post diameter I would consider welding a short length of 1" rod to the bottom of the posts. That would be pretty quick and easy.

You ever get to East TN? Come visit, and IF the posts are steel and not cast iron, bring your tool rests. I have welding equipment and I'm not afraid to use it. I even have some 1" steel rod stock. (I don't have experience welding steel to cast iron but we could try brazing it.)

If buying new tool rests, I'm one solidly in the Robust Rest fan club. I think I have six now. If you have lesser rests and if you can swing it right now, getting new Robusts would be better than patching the other rests!

JKJ

My 1642 came with a couple Robust tool rests and I agree with the others, they're very nice rests and the height is perfect.

I made an adapter to use shorter tool rests.

My original lathe was a 9 x 36" Craftsman. I made or acquired a number of tool rests for it. Then I bought a Griz G0766 22x 42" lathe. I made a few new rests but had some curved and specialty rests from the Craftsman that I wanted to re-use. But the old rests were way too short and the wrong diameter. I had enough of them that I didn't want to extend each of them. So I made an adapter that consists of a length of 1" steel that has a 2" long and diameter cylinder on the top. I used a metal lathe to bore out the cylinder to 1.000 inches on one end and 5/8 inch on the other end. The fit to the 1" dia. extension was a nice close fit so I silver soldered it. Then I tapped a 5/16" hole in the side to lock the small tool rests to the adapter. It works very slick.

I note that the OP is only trying to make up about an inch, so perhaps this approach wouldn't work well. John's suggestion of just welding on an extension may work fine. But I've wondered how much effort would be needed to get the extension in perfect alignment with the top section and get the welds ground down so that it fits smoothly into the banjo. I'm wondering if it might be easier to cut the original tool post at a higher point and add the 1" or so piece, so that the weld doesn't have to fit into the banjo. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    I made an adapter to use shorter tool rests.

My original lathe was a 9 x 36" Craftsman. I made or acquired a number of tool rests for it. Then I bought a Griz G0766 22x 42" lathe. I made a few new rests but had some curved and specialty rests from the Craftsman that I wanted to re-use. But the old rests were way too short and the wrong diameter. I had enough of them that I didn't want to extend each of them. So I made an adapter that consists of a length of 1" steel that has a 2" long and diameter cylinder on the top. I used a metal lathe to bore out the cylinder to 1.000 inches on one end and 5/8 inch on the other end. The fit to the 1" dia. extension was a nice close fit so I silver soldered it. Then I tapped a 5/16" hole in the side to lock the small tool rests to the adapter. It works very slick.

I note that the OP is only trying to make up about an inch, so perhaps this approach wouldn't work well. John's suggestion of just welding on an extension may work fine. But I've wondered how much effort would be needed to get the extension in perfect alignment with the top section and get the welds ground down so that it fits smoothly into the banjo. I'm wondering if it might be easier to cut the original tool post at a higher point and add the 1" or so piece, so that the weld doesn't have to fit into the banjo. Just a thought.
    Hey Brice,

Great post, lot's of interesting info. As soon as I hook up with a welder I'll be better able to discuss options.

I appreciate your feedback.
    Tim

I also wonder if this Robust Dog leg would do the job: http://www.turnrobust.com/product/tool-rest-dog-leg/
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Brian, your suggestion of the dog leg is a very good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    But I've wondered how much effort would be needed to get the extension in perfect alignment with the top section and get the welds ground down so that it fits smoothly into the banjo. I'm wondering if it might be easier to cut the original tool post at a higher point and add the 1" or so piece, so that the weld doesn't have to fit into the banjo. Just a thought.
    Yes, good idea. The alignment would not be a problem (prob clamp to a couple of pieces of angle iron) but the grinding (or better, belt sanding) would be some work. Or just cut off the post high and weld on a new long enough rod. The steel is cheap.

JKJ