Thread: Noise level of HF 2hp dust collector

Blog Entries

Noise level of HF 2hp dust collector

I bought a Harbor Freight 2hp dust collector while it was 20% off to use in lieu of something better when I get my detached shop built. I expected noise but when I turned it on for the first time I was unprepared for the level of sound it makes. Attaching a 4" flex hose on the suction side seemed to quiet it down a bit.
    Moments ago I downloaded a decimeter and got a reading of about 80db.
    Those of you who have this unit, is that about the same level of noise you get.
    I tried recalibrating the app but it was pretty close to the setting it came with. Considering the level of noise I was expecting a reading over 100. I consider this to be ear plugs and head phones noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    I bought a Harbor Freight 2hp dust collector while it was 20% off to use in lieu of something better when I get my detached shop built. I expected noise but when I turned it on for the first time I was unprepared for the level of sound it makes. Attaching a 4" flex hose on the suction side seemed to quiet it down a bit.
    Moments ago I downloaded a decimeter and got a reading of about 80db.
    I tried recalibrating the app but it was pretty close to the setting it came with. Considering the level of noise I was expecting a reading over 100. I consider this to be ear plugs and head phones noise.
    Did you calibrate your meter? Was it an app on a phone? If so, its probably not very accurate. In order to make any comparisons people need to know where the DC was relative to any walls and ceilings, and how far away you were when you took the measurement. Sounds pressure falls off with the square of the distance in an open space, less in a closed shop where there are reflections,....
    Mark McFarlane

Sounds about right for a 2hp collector, they are all loud.

Absolutely it's hear hearing protection noise. You should wear it with any machines on in your immediate area.

Think there is no such thing as a quiet DC (unless its in a cabinet) but most are quieter than the table saw - hearing protection is a good habit to get into

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    I don't have a Harbor Freight unit, But my 2HP Cincinnati is loud! I think the factory spec. on mine is 85db at 5 feet.

Doug

Blog Entries
    I guess I'm getting used to it. Doesn't seem so loud after using it a while. When I first fired it up I wasn't prepared for that level of sound, but to tell you the truth it isn't nearly as annoying as the wife's Oreck.
    I'm losing my hearing anyway so I sure won't be using it without both plugs and head phones.
    Yes, it was an app, Mark. I tested both before and after calibrating it, but I did suspect it wasn't very accurate. The dB in a quiet area would rise and fall about 10db with no change in noise level. But then, as I said, I'm losing my hearing so perhaps it was detecting sound that I wasn't.

Blog Entries
    Mine is about 84 dB up close, 70 dB with the closet door closed and 5 feet away. Measured with a Radio Shack dB meter.

NOW you tell me...

I find the noise level of my HF 2 hp dust collector to be very tolerable. I would not have guessed from running it that hearing protection would be necessary. Now turn on my shop vac or lunchbox planer absolutely. With the planer I want plugs and earmuffs. I have some experience with noise level measurement in an industrial environment. I have never measured mine but it does not seem concerning - it is on par with the noise my bandsaw makes.
    " (not that I'm judging...I'm all for excessive honing) " quote from Chris Griggs

I have a HF 2 HP unit and use a Thien baffle in front of the unit and vent outside. I think that it is noisier outside than inside. So, you may get some noise reduction if you vent outside. Inside it isn't so bad that I would consider needing ear protectors.

Perceived loudness may relate to pitch. An induction motor powered dust collector isn't a high pitched screamer like some shop vacs or universal motor powered devices like bench top planers or routers.

12. My HF 2HP DC is currently in a corner of my basement, it's definitely one of the quietest tools I have. I don't feel uncomfortable if I turn it on before putting hearing protection on. I haven't measured it with a meter though.