Thread: Initial Setup Recommendations

Initial Setup Recommendations

Well the Ray Fine 1390 arrived Wednesday and I just watched the videos that came with the machine. I am wondering if there are any recommendations for initial setup? One of my questions is what water are you running in your cooler? I know Russ talks about distilled water. Is this a good idea? Where are you purchasing it?
    Thanks, Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Norman View Post
    Well the Ray Fine 1390 arrived Wednesday and I just watched the videos that came with the machine. I am wondering if there are any recommendations for initial setup? One of my questions is what water are you running in your cooler? I know Russ talks about distilled water. Is this a good idea? Where are you purchasing it?
    Thanks, Dan
    If you're using a chiller then I would recommend distilled water. You can buy it at most grocery stores around here.

If you are using a bucket and pump, (which I do on one of my machines in the summer months) I think it's probably a waste of money. Unless you can get only ice made with distilled water to add to the bucket. Plus I dump mine almost daily in the summer as bugs seem to find their way in on a regular basis regardless.
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

Blog Entries
    I hope he bought a real chiller! I think we had that discussion. BTW, I totally forget to use distilled water in my CW 5200. But so far no issue with Beaver lake water district water. Fairly hard but I don't have lime or any deposits on any sink fixtures or any fittings I've taken off in the house and it's been here 20 years. And nothing in the chiller or tube, clear as air after 5 months. But go buy 4 gallons from grocery store and be done with it!

Be careful with your tube, mine was actually decently in alignment, I messed with it and made things worse, took me a bit to get right. Take your time and check everything, look over for any damage from boxes in the bed. Make sure bed is level with the nozzle in all corners. (If you have the STD steel bed, be aware the channel raises the sides up a couple of mm's and can distort you material, but should be even distance around the bed.) Make sure your nozzle is well above the bed when you start it up. It will drag across to one of the back corners at startup. Don't want damage. (Big nut will loose the nozzle if needed and you can raise it up if needed.

I need up drilling holes around perimeter and bolting down​ the honeycomb bed it kept moving on me. Added some cheep rulers on front and one side act as stops for large items. Put feet down and level. If on smooth surface it can move when fast engraving.
    Figure out how you can tie down the aquarium pump blower.
    And go buy some better duct if what comes with it is as cheap as mine. Big box stores have better that is 6 inch diameter. Mine kept collapsing.

And enjoy! Hope it works well for you!
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I run Distilled water I my Chiller

Brian
    Ray Fine 6040 80W RF Tube
    Chuck Style Rotary
    5000 CW Chiller

Thanks for the feedback John.I ordered the 5200 chiller and the water quality here is great but for the minimal cost I will run distilled water.
    No sign of damage in shipping, than goodness.
    I will be sure to check the alignment of the bed and rase the nozzle.
    Floor is polished concrete once I determined location I should not have to move it and I will set it up on the feet.
    I am curious about both the compressor and the exhaust fan. The quality looks iffy.
    I may run another line from compressor and add another regulator and filter. Time will tell.
    I have not unwrapped the ducting but it does not look impressive.
    Ray Fine 1390 80w
    Shopbot PRT Alpha 96"x48"

Hi Brian, I have no Idea how much water the 5200 takes? My guess is about 5 gallon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Book View Post
    I run Distilled water I my Chiller

Brian
    Ray Fine 1390 80w
    Shopbot PRT Alpha 96"x48"

I put my little compressor on a piece of packing foam that was in the crate deadens a lot of the noise

Hi Daniel .... I have the 5000 and it takes not quite 2 gallons .... I'm not sure about the 5200 but can it really be that much bigger ? .... and there is a lot of Videos on Youtube for the operation for the chillers.

Brian
    Ray Fine 6040 80W RF Tube
    Chuck Style Rotary
    5000 CW Chiller

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Norman View Post
    Hi Brian, I have no Idea how much water the 5200 takes? My guess is about 5 gallon?
    It actually only takes about 6 litres,= +/- 1.5 gallons. I use rainwater from my roof with a touch of antifreeze to prevent algal growth and give a pretty green colourto the coolant. Some good info here: http://www.teyuchiller.com/Products/...001400Wco.html
    Bill Carruthers, Rarotonga, Cook Islands
    Shenhui G350- 60W; + Hengchunyuan 1300x900 100W EFR , CNC router 40x60, Lightburn fan, RDCam , Coreldraw 12, Photograv 3, Scroll saw, and not enough time to play with all of them!

Blog Entries
    I've not had an issue with the aquarium pump. Blows plenty hard enough for me, it is pretty cheap, but operationally it is way cheaper than a real compressor. And as it is just pumping air no filter or water trap needed. I had to change the plug on the blower, and I decided it needed a longer cord, I rewired internal to the box. It was dang hard due to the short wires and small box. Guess three inches total of wire times a million blowers is a few feet of wire and a nickel saved for that Chinese conglomerate!

Good point on the foam. That would quiet it plus keep it in place. Oh, I added a relay to turn it on and off inside of rdworks. That way I don't have to stand over machine be to turn the blower on after engraving while it is cutting..works decently, a slight delay....
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

If you use the bucket method, use distilled water but instead of adding ice for cooling, get a couple of plastic milk cartons, juice cartons, or the like with the cap. Freeze them and you won't contaminate the distilled water with non-distilled water. I went with the chiller after fussing with the plastic cartons.