Thread: Bosch GCM12SD 12" Glide Miter Saw - Using A Festool 494391 Kapex Hold Down Clamp

Post Bosch GCM12SD 12" Glide Miter Saw - Using A Festool 494391 Kapex Hold Down Clamp

I picked up a Bosch GCM12SD 12" Glide last Black Friday after jumping on a 20% off coupon AcmeTools.com put out to replace/compare it with my DeWalt DWS780 12" slider. After comparing the two a bit and due to space constraints I decided to keep the Bosch and sold the DeWalt. The only thing I miss about the DeWalt is the very nice upgrade hold down clamp I had for it that had a quick release (DeWalt DW7082). That was an awesome clamp and sure the beat the heck out of the industry standard terrible screw clamps that come with all these miter saws.

After reading around the net I found from multiple sources that a Festool Kapex hold down clamp (Festool 494391) actually worked with the Bosch Glide saws. Ignoring the cost as Im already desensitized to the green ludicrous pricing, I immediately placed an order for one. After playing with it a bit I ended up deciding to return it but wanted to share my findings so that others knew what they were getting into if they decided to go this route.

First off, here is the connection portion of the Festool hold down clamp:

File Mar 27, 7 34 52 PM.jpg

And here is how it fits in the Bosch Glide hold down clamp hole:

File Mar 27, 7 35 16 PM.jpgFile Mar 27, 7 35 03 PM.jpg

Doesnt go down into the hole very deep, but it does seem to hold securely enough.

For reference this is how the Bosch hold down clamp looks:

61opt1uc7SL._SL1500_.jpg

This is as low as the clamp reaches when clamped and locked at its lowest setting:

File Mar 27, 7 35 28 PM.jpg

You can see that for most thickness pieces it will work fine, but anything I think less than 3/8" it probably wouldnt work. Sorry I did not measure that minimum height.

And the real problem I had with it, the clamp does not reach far enough out from the saw's fence to allow a sacrificial fence thicker than maybe 1/2". The piece of wood in the image is 1" thick.

File May 11, 9 56 28 AM.jpeg

And for that reason I had to return it since I like to use 3/4" plywood for a sacrificial fence for zero clearance cuts and the Festool clamp just didnt stick out far enough for my liking.

So there you go, now you know.

Hopefully someday Bosch will wise up and make a good clamp for this amazing and extremely popular saw similar to the DeWalt quick release design.
    Last edited by Ben Rivel; 05-11-2017 at 1:20 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Cool stuff, Ben. I'm curious to hear how things go with the Glide. I've been kicking around getting one for a few years but my trusty 12" DeWalt CMS (DW705...I think) I picked up from Costco in '99 is still going strong. What does the Bosch clamp look like?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Cool stuff, Ben. I'm curious to hear how things go with the Glide. I've been kicking around getting one for a few years but my trusty 12" DeWalt CMS (DW705...I think) I picked up from Costco in '99 is still going strong. What does the Bosch clamp look like?
    If you do, wait till Black Friday and/or subscribe to AcmeTools email list and use one of their 15-20% off one item discount codes. They do them a couple times a year. I got the Bosch Glide for $450 shipped to my door.

The clamp that the Bosch comes with in pictured in the OP. Fourth pic in.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Keep us posted on how you like the 12" glide. I've been meaning to get one to go with my kapex. The kapex doesn't like it when I try to cut anything thicker than 8/4. It bogs down a lot when I cut 2x8 boards as well. My old dewalt would chew through that stuff and ask for more.

Thanks for posting this. Good to know at least I won't miss the hold down if my Kapex burns up (I certainly wouldn't spend what they charge to repair the burn-ups).

I also would like to hear your thoughts on the Bosch. The reviews I've seen are all over the place, at least on Amazon.