Thread: Grizzly G0440 Dust Collector motor upgrade

Grizzly G0440 Dust Collector motor upgrade

The motor of my Grizzly G0440 dust collector (2HP) is giving me trouble. It is drawing more amps than it should. If I have to replace it, I could install a larger motor. For example, I could turn my G0440 into a G0441 (3HP) by bolting on the larger motor Grizzly sells andgrizzly installing a new control box.

That got me thinking. Where can I find a non-Grizzly motor that has the same shaft/mounting holes? Are there standards?

Just a thought. Did you change your configuration lately to allow for more air flow? It is counter intuitive but the more open the air flow, the higher the operating current on this type system. Restricting the air flow will reduce the current. Increasing the motor size without increasing the fan diameter will not result in much of an improvement in air flow.

Blog Entries
    As mentioned, a more powerful motor turning the same fan doesn't do much for you other than make it easy on the motor. How are you measuring the draw? Check the draw with all gates closed for a baseline. I have the G0440 and they do not have super efficient motors. However, I have been turning mine on and off more often than I should for many years.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Look at the frame size on the motor plate. A three hp is probably the same as a two hp. Either an IEC ( metric ) or NEMA ( imperial ) frame. They are typically standard frame and it should be easy to source a TEFC motor of higher quality. Compare the efficiency ratings on old and new for an idea. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Prem View Post
    ...That got me thinking. Where can I find a non-Grizzly motor that has the same shaft/mounting holes? Are there standards?
    There are standards, and it is based on the 'frame' size of any given motor. As David said, take look at the specification plate on the motor. Not sure about Griz, but they may spec motors that they've omitted this. Normally it should be there; if not, you can start measuring all the necessary dimensions and back into the frame size by looking them up. You can look up sizes & dimensions here, or search for "NEMA motor frame sizes".

Typically a 2Hp is a 145T frame and a 3Hp is 182T. However, you can generally find some crossover (i.e. look for a 3Hp that has the 145T frame). And then after you've found it, re-read Glenn's post. More Hp on the same impeller may gain you nothing. So maybe increase the impeller, and then the inlet becomes the limiting factor. So enlarge the inlet, and then the housing becomes the limiter..... Repeat iterations until you throw up hands and buy a 'system'.

Edit: Just realized that since this is a blower, the motor is probably a c-face design, so add a 'C' to the end of the frame sizes above.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 05-10-2017 at 4:09 PM. Reason: C-face

This idea started when I realized the G0440 and G0441 are identical (same impeller, same housing, ...). The only difference is the motor power (2HP vs 3HP).

Thanks for all your ideas.

Edit: Scratch that. This is not correct.
    Last edited by Larry Prem; 05-10-2017 at 6:52 PM.

Hi Larry,
    I've had the 0440 for ~8yrs and haven't noticed/measured any change in motor or overall DC performance. Mine is in an attached shed so I don't pay much attention to it--if it is pulling chips life is good! What did you notice that brought the amp load to your attention?? Breaker trip, hot motor?? Thanks, John.

The overload engages instantly when I try to turn the collector on. The motor runs perfectly fine when holding the contactor in. On Grizzly's recommendation I have replace both the contactor, start cap, and overload. The run capacitor checks out fine.

The motor is located within a foot of the eaves of a garage open to the Seattle air. I am thinking the differential in temperature created just enough rust to push the motor beyond it's normal operating envelope.

I want to measure the resistance of the coils, but have not figured out how to do that yet.

Larry,

The 0440 and 0441 have different impellers 14.5 vs 15.5. If you pursue a motor replacement, make sure of compatibility (metric vs. imperial). I was looking at one of the impellers (not sure of the machine) and it had a 19mm bore another had 1 1/8" and then there generic replacement motors (not the service replacement motor) have 5/8" shafts. So if you replace the 2 HP motor with your 14.5" impeller with a 3HP motor you will still have the same cyclone performance (just less work for the motor).

Hope that helps,

Carl

Thanks for letting me know. I'll likely just get Grizzly's motor. It's turning into too much work.