Thread: Pen recommendation for labeling blanks and other wood

Pen recommendation for labeling blanks and other wood

I am in need of a pen that I can use to label my logs and blanks, one that will write on almost anything including wood sealer (wax). I'll use a sharpie before I wax but I can't always do that so I need something that will write on that, even on bark if possible. I saw a post a while back that had a suggestion for a pen that wrote in silver colored ink that would write on anything that was used for writing on wood and even for marking lines on dark wood (it wasn't a silver ink sharpie). I just can't remember what pen it was or where I read it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I use dollar tree sharpie style markers (with the wide tip). 4 for $1.

Otherwise there's chalk, lumber crayons, carpenter's pencils, paint pens (probably what you were asking about). Lots of options.

I don't think any pen works on wax... There are ink pens, similar to sharpie type pens that have a surface type ink that is pretty stable when dry, but it probably wouldn't work on wax. We had 'ink pencils' that we used in construction here in the 'northwet' that would write on wet wood and concrete. If you have it waxed, maybe tape on the wax, possibly the blue painters tape may stick, and then write on the tape...

robo hippy

I used to use a Pencil labeled "Ink in a pencil". If the wood was dry it looked like graphite, if the wood was wet it "melted" into an ink.

I really wish they hadn't discontinued it.

I'd love to find a replacement
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Thank you guys for the suggestions. I think I'll try the ink pens and maybe a grease pencil and see how those work.

Last time I got one of the ink in a pencils, I found it at an art supply store. No idea if the big box hardware stores carry them or not, but it would make sense...

robo hippy

"Ink in a pencil" sounds like what is more commonly known as an indelible pencil. It does exactly as described above. However, if it gets too wet, it will spread out and be illegible.
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.