Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a Benchcrafted vise

Help me choose a Benchcrafted vise

Hi All,

With my Birthday coming up, SWMBO has very kindly agreed to get me a Benchcrafted vise. I picked up enough hard maple for a 7'+ Roubo from a gentleman who was moving out east for a bargain, and plan on building a forever bench in a month or so (so really, probably in a year). I plan on outfitting it with a Benchcrafted leg vise, and a large record 52 1/2 as an end vise.

I'm trying to decide between the Benchcrafted Glide and Classic models. I like the aesthetic of the glide better, but the classic has a beefier screw, and is $100 cheaper. Any ideas or thoughts to swing one way or the other?

I just finished building the BC split-top Roubo, with Glide and tail vice. Still all swollen up over how well they work.

The Glide is 100% better than the QR vice I've used for years. Spin the wheel and stand back. It just coasts up tight to whatever you put in it.

The tail vice was a new adventure, having never used one. I wasn't even sure how much I would use it, but I have just about split my clamping time between the Glide & tail - - truly didn't know what I was missing.

BC handled a packaging mistake immediately, so I can recommend their products AND service. ...Enjoy!

I use the BC tail vise all the time.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have the Classic Leg Vise with the Criss Cross mechanism and it works just fine for me. I chose it for the cost saving over the other models. I have never used the other models so I cannot help you with a comparison. I doubt if you will go wrong either way.
    David

Blog Entries
    I had the same delemma and chose the classic because I liked the parkerized finish and I like the handle to drop down out of the way. The round handle seemed to me like it would constantly be in the way.

I am confused about your comments on the glide screw. They have the same screw, just different handles and finish- or did I miss something?

Thanks everyone. I can't afford to get both unfortunately so I'll just go with the Leg Vise. In my current bench I find myself turning to my QR end vise a lot more, mostly because the leg vise I have (LV screw and regular pin system) is so slow to operate. The benchcrafted vise should take care of both of those issues. For tail vise use, I got a veritas Wonder Dog, which works very well. Is there another major functionality of the tail vise I'm missing? I've never actually used a proper tail vise. And if I am, is there something I can do to the bench top to make it an easier retrofit for later?

Malcolm, from my research the classic has a 1 1/4" screw vs the 1" screw of the Glide. Not that I expect that will make much of a difference in practice, as i'm sure both are great. I believe I read the difference was to ensure the Classic worked just as fast as the Glide, as it doesn't have the ergonomic advantage of a wheel, so a larger thread was required.

If I am understanding you correct, you are saying that you will get the Benchcrafted leg vise now, but cannot afford the tail vise at the same time. I would go with the leg vise before the tail vise also and only suggest, if there is the possibility that later on you add the tail vise, you look at the Benchcrafted plans for the tail vise and ensure that you have the required length of benchtop overhang over the upper stretcher so that you end up with sufficient vise dog travel length. If I thought I was sure I was going to add the Benchcrafted tail vise a year or two down the road, I would go ahead and do some more of the pre milling steps required for the tail vise installation while I had the benchtop loose and upside down. The approximate 18" long by 1-3/4" wide channel for the tail dog to run in would be able to be drilled/chopped out later on, but probably much easier to do up front.
    David

I've had the Glide in the leg vise of my Shaker Workbench, after putting the Classic Leg vise in my Nicholson bench with the Criss Cross I decided that if I didn't upgrade my Shaker Bench with the Criss Cross as well that I would not use it very much in favor of the bench with the Criss Cross. This required me to build a new chop for that bench and I also decided to change over to the Classic leg vise at that time. The fact that there is the detent in the center of the tommy bar on the classic leg vise allows you to use it very much like the hand wheel of the Glide. So all that to say this. In use there is very little difference. The man difference is in the look. The traditional look of the Classic looked more in tune with the Shaker bench.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    If I am understanding you correct, you are saying that you will get the Benchcrafted leg vise now, but cannot afford the tail vise at the same time. I would go with the leg vise before the tail vise also and only suggest, if there is the possibility that later on you add the tail vise, you look at the Benchcrafted plans for the tail vise and ensure that you have the required length of benchtop overhang over the upper stretcher so that you end up with sufficient vise dog travel length. If I thought I was sure I was going to add the Benchcrafted tail vise a year or two down the road, I would go ahead and do some more of the pre milling steps required for the tail vise installation while I had the benchtop loose and upside down. The approximate 18" long by 1-3/4" wide channel for the tail dog to run in would be able to be drilled/chopped out later on, but probably much easier to do up front.
    I would do the same under these circumstances. If you fabricate the top to accept the tail vice, you could could simply fill the slot for the moving dog block with a solid block held in place with a couple of screws. If/when you acquire the hardware, just remove the block and bolt in the hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    I just finished building the BC split-top Roubo, with Glide and tail vice. Still all swollen up over how well they work.

The Glide is 100% better than the QR vice I've used for years. Spin the wheel and stand back. It just coasts up tight to whatever you put in it.

The tail vice was a new adventure, having never used one. I wasn't even sure how much I would use it, but I have just about split my clamping time between the Glide & tail - - truly didn't know what I was missing.

BC handled a packaging mistake immediately, so I can recommend their products AND service. ...Enjoy!
    Hey I have had the kit for over two years now, the Glide M and the tail vise. One of the things I am sweating the most is the dovetail that is so important on the breadboard end on the tailvise. Did you do that part on your bench?

B2.jpgWent with the Classic Crisscross on mine but opted for the LN tail vise....would not want to be without either one.

Here's a leg vise photo:

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Williams View Post
    Hey I have had the kit for over two years now, the Glide M and the tail vise. One of the things I am sweating the most is the dovetail that is so important on the breadboard end on the tailvise. Did you do that part on your bench?
    I did, and it went quite well - - in spite of my repeated attempts to fat-finger the result!

Jameel @ BC did an article for PWW mag on making 'condor tails' that was very helpful, as I had not tried to make this style of dovetail (just lots of drawers). ...I think he may have a copy of it or a link to it on the BC blog?

Beautiful benches guys, I'll be sure to refer to your bench build when I build mine Malcolm. My top is around 5" thick, and benchcrafted tail vise instructions are for a 4" thick top. Would it be okay if I just moved everything down an inch? (so the dog block is 1" thicker than in the instructions for example).

I purchased the glide leg vise, it is gorgeous and I really was not prepared for how large and heavy the wheel is. As for a tail vise, is there anyone here who works with a quick release end vise and chop dogs for a tail vise? How does it work? Would you switch to a benchcrafted tail vise in a perfect world?

I've also been looking at the Veritas tail vise hardware, as the installation looks a lot easier and if it's anything like usual Veritas products it would be stellar. But the few places I've found online about people's experience with it (on Roubo benches) a couple have suggested they would get the benchcrafted instead if they were to do it again, as it has a little bit of play because it's unsupported on the outside, especially when the front laminate is not as wide as the chop. Anyone here use one of those?

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    I have the Classic Leg Vise with the Criss Cross mechanism and it works just fine for me. I chose it for the cost saving over the other models. I have never used the other models so I cannot help you with a comparison. I doubt if you will go wrong either way.
    I would agree, I use the classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Williams View Post
    Joe, I have an article on building my dovetailed end on my website ..

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...ngaBench4.html

Regards from Perth

Derek