Thread: New spindle roughing gouge, brass adapter

New spindle roughing gouge, brass adapter

This spindle roughing gouge is made from 1" diameter Thompson steel. The shaft (can hardly call it a tang) is 5/8" diameter, the same as the smaller (and incredible) Thompson/St.Leger 5/8" roughing gouge. The smaller one is my favorite for small diameter spindles but this one works great for 2" to 4" spindles.

For a handle that would fit both tools plus a few others, I turned a new adapter on the metal-cutting lathe. This one is cut from a 1-1/4" diameter brass rod from the scrap yard. Drilling the 5/8" thru hole was tricky.

The largest adapter I've made so far, it's pretty heavy made from brass and the gouge is heavy too. To balance the weight I turned the handle from a piece of a Persimmon tree I cut here in 2006. (Persimmon is heavy and quite strong.) A clearance hole is drilled deep into the handle so I can adjust the protrusion of a couple of my longer tools with 5/8" shafts.

Works very well! (and feels good in the hand)

JKJ

Looks great!!

Where's the Like button? Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Art Moore View Post
    Where's the Like button? Wow!
    The "Like" button is on the front of my metal-cutting lathe - I really Like that thing!

JKJ

Pretty sweet John.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

That's a sweet setup. That looks solid as a rock but also is pretty to look at. Nice work!
    USMC '97-'01

John, that is awesome and so timely. I just purchased a new 5/8 inch shaft hollower and I did not want to use a metal handle so this is a perfect solution. Great innovation.
    Thanks and rgds,
    Richard.

Very nice John. Your handles are first class.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.