Thread: hobby cnc router/engraver plans

hobby cnc router/engraver plans

I am wanting to build a small cnc router/engraver based on plywood construction. Work area to be aprox. 24" x 24" to 36" x 36".
    Does anyone know of plans, build threads, magazine articles, books, etc.? I need step by step instructions. I do not want to buy a kit.
    I have a small machine shop, and foundry, and can make bearing supports and such

Chuck

Found an example of what I'm looking for at buildyourcnc.com. Got a copy of the book and a studying it. Looks like a good candidate for a build. Any other examples?

Chuck

When I built mine, I started with that book, was a bit underwhelmed by the overall lack of rigidity inherent in the design. Also got this one: https://www.amazon.com/Building-KRMx.../dp/1938687108 which was a bit overkill for my intent at the time.
    Ended up with something in between...PM me with your email address, and I can send you pictures and Corel drawings and/or PDFs of what I ended up with. Warning: I cut all the parts with a laser, so I wouldn't recommend trying to duplicate it with standard woodworking tools. But with your machine shop stuff, it may be doable.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

There is a list of machine designs on the /r/hobbycnc subreddit on reddit.com

If you have access to a machine shop, why not avail yourself of the advantages of aluminum extrusion and steel rails? Hard to beat for an affordable rail system. There are nifty systems which use it as the basis for bearing slides.

CNC Router Parts sells kits, but they also sell individual pieces, like bearing trucks that would save you a lot of engineering and fabrication time.

I did not buy a kit, but for all practical purposes my machine is a CNC Router Parts rack and pinion. I bought steel plate for rails and drilled it out myself, sourced the 8020, cut the plate that joins the gantry to the bearing trucks, etc. Built mine 4 X 4 X 10 inches of Z for about $2500 including electronics. BTW, that is something else they offer, a plug and play electronic package.