Thread: New function of "New Posts"

New function of "New Posts"

I must say the upgraded system for displaying new posts is a step backwards for me.

After clicking the New Posts button I gauged the number of new posts by the page count on the right. If I saw one page, I might take the time to read through the list before I head out again. If I saw more than two new pages, I often didn't bother since it was too much to read.

Now to see how many pages actually contain new posts I have to click on each page number sequentially and scroll down each find the "end of new posts" marker. A couple of times of that and I just gave up, read some of the first page, then quit.

This change probably sounded like a great idea to someone. Please request the developers make this new behavior user-optional with a preference flag. If that is not possible, my vote would be to put it back the way it was.

JKJ

This change is definately a step backwards!!

I agree, get rid of it or make it configurable by the user preferences.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

The suggestion I'll make to you to clean things up "now" is to go into the 'Forum Actions' menu near the top of the page and click "mark all forums read" after you go through things for this viewing session. That will get rid of all the stray "unread" posts and set your new posts in subscribed threads list back to square one. (access by clicking "settings" up above. It may also help with the regular "new posts" area, but I don't use that.

Jim
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The suggestion I'll make to you to clean things up "now" is to go into the 'Forum Actions' menu near the top of the page and click "mark all forums read" after you go through things for this viewing session. That will get rid of all the stray "unread" posts and set your new posts in subscribed threads list back to square one. (access by clicking "settings" up above. It may also help with the regular "new posts" area, but I don't use that.

Jim
    Forum Moderator
    Thank you, Jim, I'll try using that regularly.

I've hit the "Mark all" button by accident before but never on purpose, when not paying attention by clicking on the far right sub-menu item when going for the "Subscribed Threads" command under "Quick Links". Is there a quicker way to get to the "subscribed threads" list?

JKJ

I find that an occasional "cleanup" using "mark forums read" to be very helpful, especially since I don't visit every forum area.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...