Thread: lathe platform for shorter person, how wide to make it?

lathe platform for shorter person, how wide to make it?

I would like to make my lathe easier to use, and am making a platform for visitors. I know the height and length I am going for, but I am not sure how wide to make it.

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
    L lathe LLLLLLLLLL
    LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP <-+
    P platform PPPPPPPPP width
    P PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP <-+
    | |
    +----- length----------+

It will be about 6" high (I am 6'5") so don't want someone to easily fall off while working

Thanks for your expertise
    Michael

I would start by marking out the area on the floor and seeing how your feet work with it without building a platform. My thought would be Length = headstock to tailstock + 12" and Width 3' wide to sit against the lathe support legs/base. The platform might make cleanup of chips an issue trapping chips under the lathe. I had used a "stepper" platform, about 18"x30" and 6" high, in the past at my mini lathe for grandchildren to gain some height when turning pens, but then there was not a need for much movement and I was standing with them.

How about turning until you are standing on a pile of shavings the height you want then measuring the width of the compressed pile of shavings you are standing on? I bet the shape isn't rectangular...

c

I think a platform is an accident waiting to happen. My grandkids sit on a stool that gets them high enough. I am disabled and have to use a stool or chair to turn. Their stool is just a little higher than mine. They drag their stool to what ever tool they want to use.

Being in front of a lathe if you step back to admire your work or get a better perspective, a 3' or 6' drop will eventually get someone hurt. It will also be cumbersome to store and move, with the grandkids stools they know where they are, they take care of moving and sometimes putting them up. As they have grown, we have shortened the stools, the granddaughter painted hers bright pink. The grandson's, his looks like he drug it through a pigsty, or like mine.

I'm with Marvin. I recently attended a turning seminar and the lady on the lathe next to me needed something to stand on. They brought out a large shipping pallet and covered that with sheets of particle board. She had no troubles while actually using the lathe and doing her bowl, but when she stood back to look at the piece or simply to take a break, she fell off the platform. If you must have one, I would strongly suggest ramping the sides and front so that anyone moving away from the lathe has an easy transition to the floor. I realize that adds to the complexity of the build, but it may save an ankle or three.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

I use a rubber horse stall mat that is 4' wide (just fits between the support legs) and don't recall needing any more width than that. I tripped over the edge a few times when it was first used but not anymore.

I agree with the others, the platforms are a trip hazard both ways, getting on and off, as well as just not paying attention and accidentally stepping off. If your visitors are grand kids or something like that, why not just get a mini lathe and make/build a short stand?

A platform is some thing I have pondered many times as I want to do more teaching. I guess one possibility would be a lathe on hydraulic lifters that goes up or down, but the pit would fill with shavings. That leaves a platform of some sort that would have to be able to block up to a number of different heights. Yes, a railing is needed.

Well, I suppose I could buy several lathes and have them all at different heights.....

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    A platform is some thing I have pondered many times as I want to do more teaching. I guess one possibility would be a lathe on hydraulic lifters that goes up or down, but the pit would fill with shavings. That leaves a platform of some sort that would have to be able to block up to a number of different heights. Yes, a railing is needed.

Well, I suppose I could buy several lathes and have them all at different heights.....

robo hippy
    Interesting thought Reed. A pit wouldn't be necessary though. The same thing could be accomplished with mechanized sliders at the support legs. I just may give more thought to this and design something for my Oneway.

I used one for my kids when they were little and wanted to make a pen or two. It is 48" wide by 18" deep and 6" tall because that was the size of plywood scrap that was handy. I was standing right next to them, so there was little risk of them falling off. It only got used a few times. I was comfortable with the risk.

Steve

Hmm..... Hydraulic lifters or ratchet on the feet/legs of the lathe??? Positive locks that don't require bolts??? With my Robust, since the legs are splayed, they would move in and out depending on going up or down. I don't remember the set up on the Oneway, but I think it adjusts up and down as well......

robo hippy

I have several piled up mats (about 2" total) in front of my lathe. I have a cabinet to my rear so I can not back up off the mats, but can step back enough to get a look at the project. The mats are NOT at the end of the lathe, I only need them for spindle work.

Our club bought (and sold) a Grizzly that was just too tall for some of our members. I made portable platforms that were 2' x 3' one 2.5" thick, the other 4.5" - trimmed 2x4 covered with 1/2"ply both sides and 1/2" mat on top. I don't think we ever used them as we replaced the machine soon after with a new jet 1640 bought at the Atlanta symposium. Everyone worried about stepping off the platform.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).