Thread: Lacquer over CA

Lacquer over CA

I used CA to firm up some punky wood and now want put a solvent based lacquer over that for the final finish. OK?

The CA stains or blocks peretration of other finishes. So, while lacquer will bond to it, the stain might show. Have you thought about using CA as the finish? Or a a complete sanding sealer so the stain is uniform?
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

The project is a peppermill. I put one coat of CA on the entire mill but the fumes drove me out of the shop so I don't want to do that again. Sounds like lacquer will work. TIA

Lacquer = fumes. Wear a chemical grade respirator, IMHO! I use the respirator for heavy CA use and especially for lacquer when I'm not applying outside where the bugs, pollen, etc. are.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    If you just dab a bit of CA in one place, it will certainly show. You really have two choices: Coat the entire piece with CA, or just coat an area that is "logical" like the space between growth rings.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

I did one coat of CA over the entire piece then multiple coats of lacquer. I did wear a chemical resp. but the CA gets to my eyes so could only stand to do one coat.

Russell and all, when using CA indoors, you should ALWAYS have good venilation and you should wear a resp. The fumes from the CA will cloud up your contac lens or your glasses if you wear them. In my former life ( before retirement ) I worked in a Crime Lab, we bought CA by the quart and used it to develope fingeprint evidence. It's a great product but use it with caution.

Jay