Thread: Workshop Floor Problem

Question Workshop Floor Problem

Three years ago I built a workshop. I poured a concrete slab floor and sealed it. I then painted it with a porch and floor paint. This last year the floor has become sticky and paint soft. What should be done and what would be the best solution for a floor in this shop.

Workshop Floor Problem

Did you check that the sealer was compatible with the paint? Sometimes paint, especially water based, will not stick to sealer. The best treatment for concrete is epoxy coatings. What a job to scrape off what you have now! You could sandblast, or use a rented wood floor sander, but if you have to work around your equipment I'd suggest a good chemical paint remover and a long handled scraper, and probably acetone before the new coating, and be sure to have ventilation and personal respiratory & eye protection.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Workshop floor problems

Thank you Joe,
    I have moved everything to one end or out of the shop so I can do one end at a time. I have started with the chemical paint remover and scraper. I have bought an epoxy coating that comes with a concrete wash that contains muriatic acid.
    I don’t know about acetone. Will it help remove the old sealer? With the acid wash will I still need the acetone?
    As stated I have started the job but stopped before being disappointed again wondering if I should consider some kind of a covering instead?<O></O>

</PRE>
    Last edited by Nelson Hack; 10-20-2005 at 11:01 AM.

Workshop floor problems

Your acid wash should do the same as acetone would. Muriatic acid is a diluted hydrochloric acid and still requires safety measures, but hopefully it will remove enough of the remaining sealer to let the epoxy stick. Good luck.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green