Thread: Feature Ring Construction for Segmented Turnings

Feature Ring Construction for Segmented Turnings

DSCF1970.JPGDSCF1971.JPGDSCF1979.JPGDSCF1978.JPGDSCF1983.JPGDSCF1987.JPGDSCF1988.JPGDSCF1989.JPG

I was asked in another thread to show the construction of the Feature Ring for my Segmented turning post. Here are some pictures of the process. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Ed Morgano; 04-20-2017 at 1:55 PM.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

So very cool, thank you for sharing.

It must be all in the mustard. LOL!
    Thanks for showing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Dixon View Post
    It must be all in the mustard. LOL!
    Thanks for showing this.
    Yes, I love mustard bottles for glue!

Excellent work Ed. I'll be "borrowing" some of your ideas if you don't mind!

Did you have issue sanding the end grain?
    Don

Don,
    That's why I shared my work. I didn't have any issues with sanding the end grain. However, the softer wood (the cedar) did soak up more finish before it was sealed.

Are the remainder of the rings also made with in end grain orientation?
    Scott Haddix

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" - Author Unknown

Scott, Usually, I try to orient the grain so that it runs around the piece rather than up and down, so the answer is No. The end grain is only for the center ring because of the way they are made.

By mixing the grain orientation, do you anticipate any problems with different wood movement? I've often thought of doing this, but have always shied away from doing so. Maybe, I am just being unnecessarily cautious.

How do you accurately control the length? I don't see any stops in the photos were you are cutting the angled sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mellott View Post
    By mixing the grain orientation, do you anticipate any problems with different wood movement? I've often thought of doing this, but have always shied away from doing so. Maybe, I am just being unnecessarily cautious.
    I think the larger the piece the more stress there might be. My last piece was about 7 1/2" diameter and the one before that was 10" Diameter. So far, I haven't seen any signs of cracking or other stress related problems, but it's only been in the house for a couple of months. If I do see problems in the future, I'll post them here.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Dixon View Post
    How do you accurately control the length? I don't see any stops in the photos were you are cutting the angled sides.
    Eugene, The pieces were all the same width because they were cut from the same block. When I miter them, I cut them at the corner without removing any of the width. It's done by eye, so the lengths might vary by .010", but I'm building the rest of the piece to match the center ring, so it doesn't have to be exact.

Last edited by Ed Morgano; 04-26-2017 at 2:34 AM.