Thread: Grizzly G0454Z 20" planer with spiral head

Grizzly G0454Z 20" planer with spiral head

Anyone here have this? That sale at grizzly is pretty tempting. I have some bday and Christmas money saved up yet. This would be a stretch, but looks like a pretty nice planer. I'd love an old Powermatic but I'm not so great at fixing broken things so think this may be my best bet. Thanks

I just refurbished a G0453 15'' I bought a few weeks ago and have been really happy with its performance. I did add a spiral cutter to mine (it came with a head from an older G1021X2) and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the G0454Z. The 0454Z has a spiral, but not helical, cutter-head, and in every comparison, they seem to be neck and neck with each other in terms of performance. I've seriously considered attempting to sell my 15'' I just finished refurbishing to upgrade to the 20'' because of the sale you are talking about.

I don't own one but I know of several people that do and everyone seems pretty happy with this unit.

I have one with the spiral head and it has been a workhorse for me. (hobby) A friend used my shop to mill a lot of stock and he put in all new inserts that have held up well. Don't need to rotate often. I adjust the bed rollers for rough stock and have had to tune up the other adjustments a couple of times in the last 8 years. I made a mobile base for it and it scoots around easily. I helped a friend mill stock with his PM 180(18"??) , and the griz performed just as well.

Thanks all. Appreciate it. I hope it's quiet when it runs.

I went from a Dewalt DW735 to the G0453 with helical head and I was amazed at how much quieter it runs. Wife and kids agree that it is no where near as loud. IMHO that is one of the major benefits of the helical head.