Thread: mirror acrylic

mirror acrylic

Hi,

Is it best practice to cut mirror acrylic with the mirror side down or up?

I have a load to cut tomorrow as a rush job and I havent used it before?

As usual, thanks for any help and advice.

Graham
    Speedy 300 80W
    CorelDRAW x7

Mirror facing down.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Mirror facing down.
    ...with masking/transfer tape on the downward-facing side, just like normal clear acrylic.

That said, with the transfer tape on the 'money' side, I've cut it both ways, doesn't seem to make a difference.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I agree, either way works if you put transfer tape on it, but if you try to cut mirror side up bare, you may etch the inside of your cover. I know this from experience.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I you cut the mirror side up, you may end up with a double image from the reflection, if you need a crisp image then mirror side facing down would be best.

Question........ do you laser off the backing like you would a regular mirror?
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

1st lot done, man does this stuff stink - much more than the normal acrylic so I assume it is the backing material.
    Speedy 300 80W
    CorelDRAW x7

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Question........ do you laser off the backing like you would a regular mirror?
    I have, yes, engrave off clip art, then apply translucent vinyl, and hang in a window. Nice effect when the sun hits it.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Im burning thru. Mirror side up or mirror side down, what?

Trying some mirrored acrylic for the first time this morning and seems I am getting best results from leaving the plastic protection on with grey side on bottom. If I put the grey side on top I get a reflection arc.

This is opposite of what is said here, right?

Weird that if I cut with no plastic or painters tape on top it fogs inside.
    Rabbit RL-80-9060
    Roland SP-540i
    Graphtec ce5000-60
    Graphtec fc7000-100
    Happy HDC2-1501
    Juki 1541s

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Watson View Post
    Trying some mirrored acrylic for the first time this morning and seems I am getting best results from leaving the plastic protection on with grey side on bottom. If I put the grey side on top I get a reflection arc.
    If you're vector-cutting it, just treat it like regular clear acrylic. You need to mask the bottom side or you get marks from beam bounce-back off whatever table/grid/pin-array it's sitting on. The fogging you speak of is the same bounce-back effect, but from the reflective side of the mirror coating.

I take the plastic stuff off: I just don't trust it to come off cleanly after it's been melted/burned during cutting. I then remask one side with transfer tape...that's the side that goes down. For the mirror stuff, that's the uncoated side, since I'm usually rastering the coating off, but that's also the right way for vector-cuts.

Summary: peel, mask clear side with transfer tape (or painter's tape for small pieces), cut/engrave clear side down, coated side up.

(At this point someone will come along asking about front-surface mirrors, but if front-surface mirrored acrylic exists, I've never seen it and wouldn't have any use for it anyway.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Lee,

Im in for the night now so tomorrow I will try taping the clear side with the painters tape and then turn it over and burn thru with the grey side up. I am cutting out letters for a friends Cobra mustang that he will put on his trunk lid cover. So the letters are roughly 3" x 7" long.

Nice and big and no rastering.
    Rabbit RL-80-9060
    Roland SP-540i
    Graphtec ce5000-60
    Graphtec fc7000-100
    Happy HDC2-1501
    Juki 1541s

To say 'mirror side up' is confusing; if the shiny side is facing up, the coated side is actually "down"...
    --same thing with 'mirror side down', the mirror itself isn't up, but the coating is...

My take- no matter what plastic you're cutting, if you want a pristine cut then transfer tape both sides. For mirrored plex, put the COATED side up so the laser hits it first-- as the laser cuts thru the non-reflective side it vaporizes the reflective side, and transfer tape won't reflect back laser light. The only reflections will be of the white visible light caused by the heat of the cutting.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I cut some red mirrored acrylic last week, face down, and a black outline followed the cut line. Not too noticeable but if you were looking, it was apparent. I pointed it out to the customer and they didn't mind.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Yesterday evening I was burning 3/8" holes as a test and I did get good results with the grey side on bottom, painters tape on top and running the feed rate high and burning each hole 4 times to cut thru.

Oh and i am raising this acrylic 1/8" above the table with some scrap pieces of birch so there is no possibility of flashing back.
    Rabbit RL-80-9060
    Roland SP-540i
    Graphtec ce5000-60
    Graphtec fc7000-100
    Happy HDC2-1501
    Juki 1541s

Blog Entries
    I engraved a 24x24" the other day, Rowmark Mirror, Into the Mirror material, which is the back reversed. Worked perfectly, I ALWAYS remove the plastic or paper depending on the acrylic. My customer gave me some acrylic mirror, and I test engraved his logo, again on the back in reverse. No issue at all. If you are trying to engrave on the front, Yes, I might leave layer on..
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others