Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hdpe

Yesterday I cut up an HDPE #2 bottle and then attempted to melt it down on my hotplate. My results were not good in that the plastic "melted" and turned clear but never melted sufficiently to be poured into a mold. It also burned on the edges. Perhaps my heat was too high. Fortunately my wife is away so the smell didn't bother her.

My Plan-B is to order some today.

Cheers,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Gilbert View Post
    My Plan-B is to order some today.
    My favorite place to order plastics and metal for machining and turning on the wood lathe is https://www.onlinemetals.com/
    I've ordered aluminum, steel, brass, nylon, UHMW, HDPE, Delrin, etc.

JKJ

I made turning blocks from lids. If you search on hdpe on youtube, you'll find lots of videos on the process that I followed. I didn't try to melt it to the point that I could pour it into molds. I just filled a box with lids, and melted it enough that it formed a solid block. From the block, I've turned bushings and cones for my Oneway live center. They work well and the price can't be beat.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Thanks Grant.
    I know it's useful and very plentiful. It's easy to melt and easy to cut.
    Cones. Thats a great idea.
    RP

As long as I have plastics people in a thread...

I will try to hijack it.
    I just got a new puppy. For some inexplicable reason, my wife insists on leaving a toy bin on the floor. First it was rattan, which the puppy immediately started chewing pieces off. Replaced it with a Rubbermaid PE bin, which the puppy immediately started chewing pieces off of.
    We have a PP bin; is that likely to hold up against sharp little teeth? It feels much harder.

Try one of those stainless steel rectangular pans like restaurants use in their steam tables. It won't dent easily. I'm not sure if it will be good for the puppy though. ...

We have a large SS bowl she only uses in November. She said that would look awful and she wouldn't use it. Go figure.