Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird split beam from Laser Tube. (Epilog Helix)

Question Weird split beam from Laser Tube. (Epilog Helix)

Hey guys,

This is my first post, but I've been reading a lot over the years here. Such an amazing community and wealth of knowledge.
    I'm excited to start getting more engaged here.

Ok so I have an issue with my 9 month old Helix 60 watt. I've already emailed the support and awaiting reply, but while I'm waiting for a response
    I thought I'd see what you guys think.

I noticed my laser losing power and seeming blurry engravings. After cleaning optics and checking alignment, I noticed something odd.
    The beam seemed to be split in 3. I thought was mirrors but after testing directly from the tube, it seems it's splitting at the tube level.

The photos do most of the talking. Does anyone know why this would be happening.. so strange.

http://imgur.com/a/IhJ78 <-- here is the photos. For some reason I can't attach photo to this post

Thanks!
    Kirk

When posting photos it would be appreciated if you up loaded your photos to this site so that they are always here for people to see. Not at some other site that might be gone tomorrow.as far as your problem not sure what Im looking at . the tape looks to be over the lens mirror , so it could be from the second mirror. did you check to see if mabe a mirror is cracked or dirty. is the tube end free of debris
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Bert, I think he is showing the hole where the Epilog beam comes out. At least in my Mini, the tube butted right up to a sealed box (which contains two mirrors). The beam exited the box through a glass window and headed to the mirror at the end of the gantry (then onto the mirror at the lens). On my mini, that's as close to the tube window you can get (without taking the machine apart). That beam profile *could* be caused by the mirrors in the box doing something weird, but they are closed in and I think not likely to be the culprit(s). However, I have no idea what is causing it.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Hey guys, thanks for the reply

Bert: As I said in my post, there is a buggy issue with the forum that didn't let me post photos (Chrome, Windows 10) so I posted to imgur instead.
    I tried about 8 times.

John Noell is correct.

The first photo is using the mirrors and trying to do an alignment. It is then that I realized the split looking spot was not normal. So I went directly to the tube (as shown in bottom two photos).
    At this point, it's coming directly out of the tube and it seems to be split.

So strange. I'll see what the Epilog guys say and update the thread. I'll try posting photos again as well so others in future can learn if they run into the issue

Thanks,
    Kirk

My 60W Helix did this a few years ago. IIRC it was a cracked mirror inside the tube. The result was tube replacement.
    Epilog Lasers

Hey Chuck,

Thanks for the reply! This is what I feared and thought when I saw it coming out of tube like this.
    I have 68 orders in the queue and it's a long weekend. This always happens to me on a long weekend heheh

Ok i'll see what Epilog says and go from there. I'll update the thread

Thanks guys!

Kirk

Sorry the part about not posting in the forum must of just went right over my head oops but it stll might be a cracked mirror, don't know how the epi's work that much
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Quesnelle View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for the reply

Bert: As I said in my post, there is a buggy issue with the forum that didn't let me post photos (Chrome, Windows 10) so I posted to imgur instead.
    I tried about 8 times.

John Noell is correct.

The first photo is using the mirrors and trying to do an alignment. It is then that I realized the split looking spot was not normal. So I went directly to the tube (as shown in bottom two photos).
    At this point, it's coming directly out of the tube and it seems to be split.

So strange. I'll see what the Epilog guys say and update the thread. I'll try posting photos again as well so others in future can learn if they run into the issue

Thanks,
    Kirk
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

No problem at all Bert!

I actually contacted Epilog and of course over the phone is hard to show problems but after seeing the beam profile, he said it's likely a tube issue. I think they are going to send me out a new tube on Monday.

I took another few tests coming directly from the tube. The beam seems to be split into 3
    http://imgur.com/a/Xt4m2

On another note. I wish I could post images here so others can learn in the future. But for some reason there is no button to submit after I attach. Anyone else have this problem? Here is a photo of the problem I'm experiencing. There is no place to hit submit. http://imgur.com/a/fNKIu

Kirk

after you browse for a photo underneath it says upload just click upload
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Kirk I posted them for you
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Thanks Bert.

I'll keep it updated with what happens

Cheers
    Kirk

We had a somewhat similar problem with our last tube for our Epilog Helix 24. We had to wrestle with Epilog for some time to get it replaced but in the end they did. It was more like the letter Q shaped with a rounder bit and a "tail" at the bottom. Here are a few photos of the beam with a short burst and with a longer burn. We used receipt paper to get the darkening with a minimal exposure time. It clearly isn't round like it should be and we didn't get as much power out of the tube as was expected. That's when we started to experiment. Mirrors were all fine and aligning also. Got the new replacement tube and everything works fine!

beam1.jpgbeam2.jpg
    Henri Sallinen
    Cardboard designer with a Epilog Helix 24 60w + Gunnar Matboard Cutter + Heidelberg Windmill letterpress

Hey Henri

Thanks for the posting that!

Nice to know I'm not the only one who had this problem.

I believe they are going to send me a new tube. But I'm not sure just yet until I talk to them today.

Did you end up finding out what it was?

Thanks
    Kirk

Glad to be of some help

No idea what was the problem and I'm sure Epilog isn't that keen on letting us know if it's a faulty tube. Just glad that the new tube they sent was fine and everythings running nicely now. Just not at all happy on how much I had to armwrestle with the company to get everything settled.
    Henri Sallinen
    Cardboard designer with a Epilog Helix 24 60w + Gunnar Matboard Cutter + Heidelberg Windmill letterpress