Thread: A Buck And A Half Shine

A Buck And A Half Shine

Had a shallow oak blank sitting on the rack for quite some time and finally got around to doing something with it. Decided to follow Russ Fairfield's video instructions on how to use shoe polish as a finish. Piece is 10 1/2" x 2 1/8" x 5/16" thick. If I had to do over again, the rim band is 1" wide and I think 3/4" or a touch less would be better and I'd slant the top towards the inside of the bowl. However, really pleased with with how the shoe polish finished the piece off. Just left it as is and didn't add a secondary gilt cream coloring. Have a couple other pieces on the rack that I might do something like that but generally speaking, the looks of that doesn't ring my bell. A buck and a half is about the cost of the shoe polish used.
    Oak Bowl 1.jpgOak Bowl 4.jpgOak Bowl 6.jpg

For anyone interested, video instructions are here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGjvoU9Bi3U
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

I think you nailed it David. I like it a lot!!
    Thanks for the youtube link, never heard of using shoe polish for a finish, i'm going to give it a try sometime.

Thanks Daryl, the piece looks much better live versus the cell phone pics. Pleasantly surprised how the finish turned out.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA