Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital Vernier

that will be a thing with digital but the one i use is in half thous. i scribed a line on the face for the first three digits .125 is an 1/8 Even left on batteries last me about three years cant complain about that and it doesnt just fail it gets dull for a while. Renata 357's are good and work in the digital spray guns as well. Fair bit cheaper than any 2032's ive ever bought. The caliper doenst turn off by itself but when its gets tripped on 30 -50 times between the three year or so battery change dont have an issue with that. Ive bought some calipers that give you 1/16 and thous and metric first had issues and not happy with the second either, bought them for the multiple scales. I wouldnt have interest in the knock off of the mititoyou, first off if its a copy, s second if this one has worked hard for over 35 years thats enough for me on quality of the product.

Here is 35 years of abuse, you can see the line scribed to make it easy to read sectioning off the .0005

P2200011A.jpg
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 04-12-2017 at 9:10 PM.

I know this is going to come across as me being obnoxious but 'digital verniers' is an oxymoron. They are digital or vernier calipers. Digital does away with the need for the vernier scale, which actually is also used on other measuring tools like micrometers and height gauges, or used to be. A vernier scale consists of a normal scale along with a scale that has 11 lines in the same distance that the normal scale has 10. This allows a discreet measurement within a singular gap in the normal scale. Wikipedia probably (absolutely) explains it better than me. With a digital scale the electronics takes care of that for us. I think the battery replacement is a small price to pay for the added capabilities. Example: you want to know the difference in thicknes between two boards? Zero out on one then 'measure' the other one. The difference will be in window; no math. They do imperial to metric conversions too, with a push of a button.

Perhaps it is because I have spent my life as a machinist but I just don't get why anyone would want to use a fractional measurement with a caliper? The math is so much more prone to error. Why would you want to subtract 3/128 from 7/64?

Blog Entries
    Confused. When you say vernier, are you really speaking about a digital caliper? To me a vernier is strictly a mechanical or optical method of dividing a measurement more accurately than just estimating fractions between divisions on a scale. The vernier is the yellow portion in the illustration.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Confused. When you say vernier, are you really speaking about a digital caliper?
    Ole: The answer is yes. The digital equivalent to a vernier. The lines on the vernier are what I can no longer see without a magnifying headset (which I frequently use) so the digital is a better user experience 9for me).
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I prefer dial calipers, I have 3. One Etalon with my machinist tools for 30 years, one cheaper one in my desk at work for the last 15 years, and just bought another cheaper one to leave in the garage near the table saw. Also have one digital (4" Mitutoyo), only benefit to the digital is setting zero to a different location, otherwise I prefer the feel of the watching the needle vs numbers jumping up and down .0005. I also dislike turning the digital on and off repeatedly as I decide to take additional measurements.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mann View Post
    ... I just don't get why anyone would want to use a fractional measurement with a caliper? The math is so much more prone to error. Why would you want to subtract 3/128 from 7/64?
    It's interesting - as a scientist I should agree with you. I certainly appreciate metric units in that field. But I actually find the binary fractions used in woodworking easier to work with for most woodworking measurements than decimal fractions. A resolution of 1/32" is quickly and easily read off scales, and is about as accurate as you need for most woodworking. .1" on the other hand is not, and .01" resolution is impossible to read without a caliper - which you can't use for most common measuring tasks. And, binary fractions are easy to double and halve. Addition and subtraction - i can see your point on those, but I don't personally find them hard. Division is really the only arithmetic that I find slower with binary fractions.

Does anyone know of a solar powered digital caliper that displays in fractions? I know Mitutoyo makes a solar powered one but I don't think it displays in fractions.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    Yes, I agree that's one gripe about the model. I don't know whether that's related to NOT draining the batteries while off. Almost every auto-off measuring device I've had, whether Wixey or no-name calipers, seems to drain the batteries while off. Every time I go to use them while they've been in the drawer for a while the batteries are dead. That's not been the case with these calipers but maybe that's subjective experience.
    It likely needs to keep some electronics alive to maintain calibration, which is why it draws some small current when off. Additionally, liquid crystal displays use almost no power, so turning it "off" doesn't do much to conserve the battery. That's likely why they don't include an auto-off feature - it wouldn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Does anyone know of a solar powered digital caliper that displays in fractions? I know Mitutoyo makes a solar powered one but I don't think it displays in fractions.

Mike
    This one isn't solar or battery powered, no electronics involved.

https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-D320...tional+caliper

I went through a couple of others that were electronic, and just got tired of hunting down new batteries. With wood, I tend to think in fractions and this one has worked well for me for a couple of years. Seems sturdy and accurate, and you can zero it out or lock it. Below is a bit closer view of the dial.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I have both the dial and the digital, both inexpensive models. The dial is my go to, much quicker to use. I have dropped it a few times and had to reset to zero, no problem. No on and off, no units, no batteries.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    Mitutoyo makes good stuff. I've had a pair of their dial calipers for over 35 years. Also metric, forcing me to begin thinking in metric. Hasn't helped much. I think we think in the values we grow up with.
    But they are dead accurate and a $5 lighted magnifying glass would be cheaper than buying a new digital set of calipers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    This one isn't solar or battery powered, no electronics involved.

https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-D320...tional+caliper

I went through a couple of others that were electronic, and just got tired of hunting down new batteries. With wood, I tend to think in fractions and this one has worked well for me for a couple of years. Seems sturdy and accurate, and you can zero it out or lock it. Below is a bit closer view of the dial.
    I have the Starrett equivalent of that (fractional). What I wanted to try is a solar digital that displays in fractions. Can't find any one who makes one.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries

I have a Brown and Sharpe 6 inch that I use rarely. The original cost was at least $100 but I can't remember. Ten years ago, I bought an 8 inch caliper from Harbor Freight and it is by far my favorite. I think I gave about $15 for it on sale. If you aren't serious about machine work, I don't see any reason at all to spend more money. There are lots of choices and some very good ones are quite inexpensive.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I have a Brown and Sharpe 6 inch that I use rarely. The original cost was at least $100 but I can't remember. Ten years ago, I bought an 8 inch caliper from Harbor Freight and it is by far my favorite. I think I gave about $15 for it on sale. If you aren't serious about machine work, I don't see any reason at all to spend more money. There are lots of choices and some very good ones are quite inexpensive.

Good point.
    You paid $15 at HF?!! You got ripped off. They throw them in your bag as you leave at my local HF. Plus a crescent wrench and a flashlight.