Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital Vernier

Digital Vernier

Love to hear what other folks are using for a digital vernier, and perceived pros and cons. I've been using the Wixey WR100 and it has worked just fine for me. Primary use is matching planer and sander depth to the actual board thickness ... but really it is used for so much more. It's my first digital vernier and the improvement over a mechanical is astounding. As my eyesight has faded I could no longer easily interpolate the granularity on the mechanical and the digital made that unnecessary. Gripes (minor I suppose) about the Wixey include a low-battery condition that requires being attentive (starts performing erratically) and plastic parts on the housing that break (fine or micro-adjust). Still, I don't think I could go back to a manual.

Looking to buy another, and curious about what is out there on the market. Thanks!
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 04-11-2017 at 11:26 PM.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

You have my sympathy with the eyesight. I have changed to a digital vernier for that reason even though I am not a fan of digital/electronic generally. Cheers

I have 2 in the shop, a Mitutoyo 6" -my favorite, and a 12" Fowler that is good, but not a mitutoyo. The 6" is easy to use, buttons are placed and sized well, and it has an auto off feature. It is an IP 67?? Rating- dust and moisture i believe.
    I have had the 6" for about 15 years, and replaced the battery twice in that time. The fowler uses a different battery, and eats them like candy.
    The 6" uses i think a CR2032 battery? About the size of a nickel. The 12" uses a different style that I dont know the number of, but it is about 3/8" dia. X 1/4" thick.
    I had no clue when I bought either, about batteries, but now, that would factor very heavily in my choosing a new unit.

The CR2032 battery will last much longer than the smaller size. I found that out the hard way.

John

+1 on Mitutoyo (have one of their 8 inch digitals https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Also, I've had a General International 6 inch for years that still works perfectly with long battery life

Blog Entries
    I use a digital caliper to measure wood thickness when planing. Since I am working with wood and not metal I don't need the accuracy of a Mitutoyo or Starrett, I use a Harbor Freight 6" model that cost less than $20. I am on my second one as I dropped the first one and apparently the glass scale broke as it gives erratic readings when you open it more than about 1/2".
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have the iGaging 6" from Amazon and I actually don't like it for couple of reasons. 1. I don't like that it scales to 1/128". For woodworking, this is too fine for me and not very helpful when I get a reading of 87/128". I'd prefer 1/64" or even 1/32". 2. Mine is cheaply made where the battery doesn't seat well and causes problems if I bump or jostle the caliper.

I should have spent more $$ on a Mitutoyo or other quality one.

I use an 8" Mitutoyo, if your going to spend the money on one, spend a little more and get the solar powered version.

Takes all the fun out of dead batteries.

Ed

cheap calipers also have a about 4x the "off" current draw than a Mitutoyo or similar. That is why the batteries last much longer in the high quality instruments. I imagine the wixy has similar high quality electronics.

Dont agree with the CR2032 in theory its a different kind of battery that should last longer, any devices i have eat those batteries I hate them even if the device is the cause. My Mititoyuo caliper is at least 35 years old snot beaten out of it looks like it was found in the desert under an Allard and it still works perfectly. i should send it to them so they can do an ad with it, its bullit proof and gets turned on a gazzilion times over the years in my tool belt and still batteries last years for all the times its been on for 20 hours before I notice I can still get about 3 years on a battery.

A common battery size is easy to remember, 357.I leave a package of them beside the calipers. If I'm a little more serious I use dial calipers ,I use the old verniers for scribing.

Take a look at the Mitutoyo clone from Igaging. "Absolute Origin" or something like that it's called. It is also IP54. Fills the gap between the dirt cheap models for under $20 and the $100+ Mitutoyo.

Here's a link to the product on Amazon...
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KDUD67G

I've had this model for over a year, it's very well-made. My only complaint is that is does not automatically turn off.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    Take a look at the Mitutoyo clone from Igaging. "Absolute Origin" or something like that it's called. It is also IP54. Fills the gap between the dirt cheap models for under $20 and the $100+ Mitutoyo.

Here's a link to the product on Amazon...
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KDUD67G

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Labadie View Post
    I use an 8" Mitutoyo, if your going to spend the money on one, spend a little more and get the solar powered version.

Takes all the fun out of dead batteries.

Ed
    Amen. That's one of my objections to battery powered calipers. My second objection - for a fractional caliper - is that it gives readings that are too fine (such as 128ths). And if I force it to a less fine reading, such as 16ths, I can't see if it's a bit less or a bit more than the reading given. With my mechanical, I can see that the reading is 11/16th (for example) plus (or minus) a small amount. I lose that extra information with a digital.

That's not a big objection, however, since I don't work to better than 16ths most of the time.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by David M Peters View Post
    I've had this model for over a year, it's very well-made. My only complaint is that is does not automatically turn off.
    Yes, I agree that's one gripe about the model. I don't know whether that's related to NOT draining the batteries while off. Almost every auto-off measuring device I've had, whether Wixey or no-name calipers, seems to drain the batteries while off. Every time I go to use them while they've been in the drawer for a while the batteries are dead. That's not been the case with these calipers but maybe that's subjective experience.