Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sounds like United Airlines muffed it

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post

Once, while traveling on business, they asked for volunteers and I took them up on their offer. Then on the replacement flight, I was asked if I would trade my seat so a mother and child could sit next to each other. I said yes. My new seat was in the 1st class section. I enjoyed the additional comforts.
    You just happened to be lucky. What if they overbooked the replacement flight that you were on and you had to spend another day at your own expense. Do they offer another voucher for the next available flight or just say to bad you don't have a valid ticket

Wouldnt it be nice if you could sell 6 items knowingly to 10 people, take all 10 people's money with a promise to deliver, and then legally stiff 4 of those people via random selection and a "I'll get you the item eventually" comment.

Nothing about the overbook practice seems right to me, regardless if it's legal or not, unless it's purely and 100% voluntary by the customers due to some incentive offered. And it shouldn't be legal in my opinion either. And once you are in your legally ticketed, purchased seat they shouldn't be able to force you off unless you break the law, not get randomly selected.

My 2 cents.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 04-12-2017 at 7:13 AM.

There is very little about flying that us enjoyable anymore except maybe a good destination. In my mind, the flight was not overbooked but United had to get some of their people to the destination.

Nothing about this was right and was badly mis-handled. Even the CEO statements were awful. When I fly my first choice is Southwest and United last.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Wouldnt it be nice if you could sell 6 items knowingly to 10 people, take all 10 people's money with a promise to deliver, and then legally stiff 4 of those people via random selection and a "I'll get you the item eventually" comment.

Nothing about the overbook practice seems right to me, regardless if it's legal or not, unless it's purely and 100% voluntary by the customers due to some incentive offered. And it shouldn't be legal in my opinion either. And once you are in your legally ticketed, purchased seat they shouldn't be able to force you off unless you break the law, not get randomly selected.

My 2 cents.
    Good point. Up to 4 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    What United did was legal and United employees didn't remove the guy. The Airport police removed the guy. If he had just left the plane, he wouldn't have been injured. No. I have no sympathy for him, a doctor or not.
    I don't think they were police. It sounded like it was private airport security personnel working for United or the Airport.

Just because what you do is legal doesn't excuse being stupid and brutal. United planned poorly by not making accommodation for their employees prior to boarding passengers on the plane and then, to save a few hundred dollars, resorted to violence to free up a seat. There's a big psychological difference in being bumped before and after you're in your seat. If they'd offered $1000 or $1500 cash rather than vouchers that many passengers find to be worthless they would have had no problem getting a seat.

My 2 cents.
    Two sides to every story... What if you sold 1 item to 10 people, then carefully packed and delivered the item to the appointed place at the agreed time - and no one showed up. Will you be happy offering the expected full refund?

United did nothing wrong (they own the seat), but they will still pay dearly for it. And yes, they should have raised the offer for the volunteers.

I have my own bone to pick with United, so I'll just sit and watch and giggle gleefully. My 2 cents.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 04-12-2017 at 8:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Two sides to every story... What if you sold 1 item to 10 people, then carefully packed and delivered the item to the appointed place at the agreed time - and no one showed up. Will you be happy offering the expected full refund?

United did nothing wrong (they own the seat), but they will still pay dearly for it. And yes, they should have raised the offer for the volunteers.

I have my own bone to pick with United, so I'll just sit and watch and giggle gleefully. My 2 cents.
    easy. The seat is sold and paid for. Simply put you don't show up or make prior arrangements you bought it. Hotels manage to do this. Why can't airlines. If money collected who cares if plane flies half full.

As someone who has flown and continues to fly United a lot for work, they messed up big time.

I have seen this happen many times (over booking) and never has it resorted to violence. Also, I've never seen it happen after the plane was boarded. Clearly there was a major screw up in United Air Ops if these four employees had to fly at the ninth hour and the gate people were told after the plane was loaded. As many others are saying, they should have kept moving up the offer. If they got high enough, four people would have easily agreed; even though this was the last flight of the day.

Now they have a major black eye and will pay much, much more.

it was shocking to see how a paying customer was treated. But what was more shocking was the attempt of the media to besmirtch this customers reputation especially when he refused to give up his seat. They were relying too much on the good will of the customer.

.... Will you be happy offering the expected full refund?...
    easy. The seat is sold and paid for. Simply put you don't show up or make prior arrangements you bought it. Hotels manage to do this. Why can't airlines. If money collected who cares if plane flies half full.
    Not quite an answer to what I asked, but we all bring a different perspective.

Competitive environment makes airlines do most of what they do (as with us all). Studies were quoted ad nauseum on the news last night that the public will book a flight with anyone who's fares are $1 cheaper. Apparently our collective indignation won't stand up to economics for long. And not that it will change any minds, but they rent the seat - they don't transfer ownership.

teehee teehee teeheee (....I told you I would giggle while United twists in the wind.)
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 04-12-2017 at 9:30 AM.

My 2 cents.
    United goofed big time...these 4 "employees" should have taken a later flight end of story. It's very costly to earn back the goodwill of the public once it is lost. I imagine many travellers will have this story in mind when flying united.

I find it incredible that anyone would be taking the airlines side in this particular situation. What happened to that guy was uncalled for, lousy customer relations, bad local and top level management and extremely poor decision making. What really bothers me is that this type of incident has likely happened in the past and no one really heard about it. Thanks to the power of facebook or what ever site had the content posted, United airlines and maybe all airlines have been exposed. Now maybe, things will change for the better and the customers will be treated with slightly more respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I get that the airport security dragged that man off. But still, it seems like it's United's problem to get an aircrew to their next departure point. So they should have offered more compensation instead of using their removal policy.

And, I'm the lone wolf here, but the Doctor really should have gotten off when they asked. You can't argue with an airline crew on a loaded jet - security won't ever allow that and in some cases you can even go to jail.
    I agree with you on both points.
    United should have upped the offer until 4 people were willing to get off.
    The passenger should have gotten off it became obvious that protesting woudn't help. He was a nut case.

Obviously a better system is necessary.

Years ago I went to Hawaii with a friend, and I made the reservations. He was pretty angry I made it for Mr. rather than Dr. and actually had his ticket rebooked. In Hawaii a man had a heart attack and people were screaming for a doctor. I nudged him, but he assured me the guy didn't want a pediatrician. Go figure.

At one point, yesterday, their market cap was down a BILLION dollars, so I think offering $2500 in compensation (or just hiring a limo to drive some people the 4 hour trip) probably would have made a lot more sense.

On the plus side, they won't have too much problems with overbooking in the future! I willingly pay a premium to fly Southwest (and won't fly Frontier or Spirit at any price) - now I can avoid United, when possible, too.

Almost all tickets are non-refundable today. So if you don't show up, you still paid for it.

If you bought a refundable ticket, you paid more which is essentially insurance for the airline. Some refundable ticket people will not show up but most will.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.