Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DVR XP shuts down

I am sorry, this is my first reply in this forum and I probably did this the wrong way. Jens

Jens, I think you posted correctly. Do you have a ground on the receptacle you plug the lathe into? I believe the lathe frame is grounded thru that connection. Check the voltage between hot & ground, and hot & neutral. Should be the same.

Hi Jens,

Nothing wrong with your post.

As Glenn says, normally the lathe should be properly grounded through the plug unless the receptacle is faulty or lacks a ground.
    RD

I run my lathe on 220 V and the plug, to the best of my knowledge, is grounded.

If it's a 3 prong plug, the ground and neutral are the same at the lathe, and can be checked with an ohm meter. If it is 4 prong, the ground and neutral are the same at the panel box. If you (Jens) connected a ground to the lathe frame, two things I can think of could be a possibility: The ground is faulty to or at the panel box, or, your added ground is bleeding a static build up that is affecting the circuitry of the
    dvr, even though your machine may be properly grounded. Not sure how a few thousand volt static charge could develop on the lathe, or why it wouldn't bleed to machine ground, unless whatever is causing the charge is housed in non conductive plastic.

Glenn, thank you for taking time to think about my situation. I use the extra ground wire only while buffing. I wired the basement shop myself and there is always the possibility that I did something wrong. I do not own an ohm meter and can not easily check. In any case, it should be easy to try and see if the buffing problems disappear. Just a loose wire from a water line to the lathe.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens Bingel View Post
    Glenn, thank you for taking time to think about my situation. I use the extra ground wire only while buffing. I wired the basement shop myself and there is always the possibility that I did something wrong. I do not own an ohm meter and can not easily check. In any case, it should be easy to try and see if the buffing problems disappear. Just a loose wire from a water line to the lathe.
    And of course if anything was going to produce high static charges: Buffing would do it -- particularly in a dry space. Its a lot like a little van de graff generator.

That's an interesting idea. Jens, is your shop very low humidity? Have you ever had a static charge from the lathe "prick" you?
    RD

Richard, my shop is quite dry, especially during the winter months. No, I never got a little shock from a static discharge.