Thread: Utah Woodturning Symposium or AAW Annual International Symposium?

Utah Woodturning Symposium or AAW Annual International Symposium?

I'm considering attending either the Utah Woodturning Symposium or the AAW Annual International Symposium in Kansas City but can't decide on which one. Both seem to have an impressive list of demonstrators. The Utah event is much closer but I don't want that to limit my choice if one is more comprehensive. Any factors that might sway my choice?

The vendor area of the AAW is larger
    The demonstrator list of the AAW should be more extensive
    Utah -used- to have "Super Weds", that is an open house at Craft Supply with demos and product displays. But they sold off the areas they needed for parking and one of their buildings, so that doesn't happen any more.
    Utah has a very nice "swap" event though.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

I've done both a few times. These are really two very different symposia - both are excellent learning experiences, just different. Utah is smaller, and, in my experience, more opportunity for interaction with the demonstrators. It's just a more collegial atmosphere. The AAW is an opportunity to take a very deep dive into turning, but you'll often find yourself jostling for a spot in the more popular demos. More people means -everywhere. You've got to find your way quickly to the next demo if you want a seat.

As Ralph mentioned, the vendor areas are not even comparable. If you want to see virtually every major vendor, the AAW is your ticket. Sorry to hear that Super Wednesday at the Utah is no longer. I picked up some great finds at the garage sale there.

In a perfect world, I'd say go to both. If money is an issue and Utah is closer, start there. The demos are first rate and it's a good learning experience. Either way, symposiums are a great way to learn a lot, experience different techniques and viewpoints and meet other turners.

You should also think about SWAT in August. One thing you should consider is that no matter which you decide on you will only be able to see the same number of rotations no matter what your choice. Your choices will be more varied at the AAW than Utah or SWAT but one thing I will guarantee is that your head will be swimming with so much stuff that you will not know this from that. I started taking a voice recorder because I would get home and not have a clue what my notes meant. Sensory overload! No matter where you decide you will have a great time.

To follow up on Bill, SWAT is now open for registration and has list of the lead demonstrators: http://www.swaturners.org/ There always seemed to be enough vendors to work over a credit card and regional demonstrators to present some new ideas. Hope to see some there.

I recall it was Robo Hippy that mentioned that there will be a symposium in Phoenix later this year too. That is one I would definitely like to attend since it's so close. So, I may set aside time for 2 events but no more.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    I recall it was Robo Hippy that mentioned that there will be a symposium in Phoenix later this year too. That is one I would definitely like to attend since it's so close. So, I may set aside time for 2 events but no more.
    The Arizona symposium is in 2018. Oregon in odd years, Arizona in even years. The national will be in Portland in 2018 also
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.