Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chinese laser axis movement problem... Any thoughts??

Blog Entries
    Electrical tape is a SHORT term and VERY poor solution to a problem. you would have done better to use some RTV on the spot. But a REAL solution is to get a piece of silicone tube long enough to slide over the entire line! Problem done, fergit it! You didn't solve anything!
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    Electrical tape is a SHORT term and VERY poor solution to a problem. you would have done better to use some RTV on the spot. But a REAL solution is to get a piece of silicone tube long enough to slide over the entire line! Problem done, fergit it! You didn't solve anything!
    Wow, tone doesn't come through in written messages very well so I may be interpreting incorrectly but I don't appreciate being told that what I did was "VERY poor" and that I "didn't solve anything!".

The fact is that my problem was solved. My machine is up and running again. Another fact is that I acknowledged that it was not a permanent solution so it is not necessary to shout at me saying that it is "SHORT term".

If you want to warn others against using electrical tape in high voltage applications, then that is a useful thing to do. Better yet, explain why it is not a good practice to do so. I feel that it is always best to give explanations rather than just assertions.

For example, why is RTV better than electrical tape? If I had used RTV would you still consider that a short term solution? How would I be better off now if I had used RTV instead? Do you really believe that sliding a silicone tube over the existing wire is a better solution than replacing the entire line with a higher rated one? Why?
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408