Thread: Jessem 08350 and small stock

Jessem 08350 and small stock

I'm concerned about the 2 piece construction and the flushness of the one surface because of it (where the drill block is installed in the top plate). I've read that this surface is not flat.

What I’m wondering about is making face frames for example using 1x2 material. I don’t know how well it would work for indexing to, clamping and drilling into the end grain of a board that is only 1-1/2 inch wide.

Does anyone have experience with the new Jessem Doweling jig (08350) and working with smaller stock and joints?

Why not pocket hole screws for face frames. You don't see them and you could plug them if they bother you.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Why not pocket hole screws for face frames. You don't see them and you could plug them if they bother you.
    A 1-1/2 inch face frame is just a hypothetical example. I know the Dowelmax can do it. I know the Paralign can do it. The paralign doesn't seem to be available from Jessem anymore.

I want a really nice doweling jig for other uses. The Jessem 08350 master kit is less money than the Dowelmax and add on 1/4 bushings. I'm trying to decide between the two and I don't think I want to save money and end up with less capability.

I have the 08350 jig and I think it is excellent. I just looked at my jig and I see what you are talking about on the one surface. There is a slight offset where the interchangeable drilling insert is located. I don't believe this is an issue. It should work just fine for what you want to do. I suspect you'll want to center your dowels at 1/2" in which case there is a small lip of the black anodized jig frame that the end grain will sit against. Clamp to the other fence, and drill.

When doweling narrow stock with it, I use the centerline mark they provide on the one fence for registration. The narrowest I have doweled is into stock 3/4"x3/4" and it worked perfectly. I hope this makes sense.
    Ed

I imagine I would set the fence to 3/8" to center on the 3/4 inch stock and that would help get the end grain onto a bigger surface.
    I don't think the 3/8 jig hole spacing would work on 1-1/2 wide stock if the jig centerline was used as reference onto the centerline of the stock. I guess I could use the jig centerline to the edge of the stock, but that is sure to lack some accuracy.

It's a little hard to explain but I'm here to tell you the Jessem jig will do exactly what you are describing and the flat surface thing is a non-issue. I can't speak for the DowelMax not having seen one, but the Jessem jig was one of those purchases for me where I find myself using it more than I expected. If you are not sure, buy it from Lee Valley during the free shipping event and return it if it is not to your satisfaction.
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 04-06-2017 at 4:11 PM.