Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oscillating edge sanders

Oscillating edge sanders

I'm considering buying an edge sander. Looks like Delta and Jet are comparable in price and the few reviews I've read. I've also heard about Baileigh edge sanders. Does anyone have any experience with this sander? Also considering the grizzly, just cost a lot more than some of the others. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Between the Delta and Jet my choice would be the Jet simply due to the parts availability issues that Delta has had. Search the reviews on the two Grizzly OES that I think you are considering, they are somewhat eye opening. The Baleigh 6100 is a similar machine to the Delta and Jet with 1/5th as long of a warranty. The 8120 is a very interesting sander (similar to European OES) but requires a decent amount of 3 phase power, if you have a 15hp or larger RPC it is an interesting choice for the price. The American made Vega would be my first choice if it is in your budget.

IMO Jet if you are going for the lowest budget, Vega if you step up. I assume there is no point discussing options above the Vega in price. The Jet is a solid little sander while it is far from perfect for the price it is certainly not a bad deal.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I have the jet . Well the base is in my shop rest of sander is in repair shop waiting on part since december. But when running is great ssnder.

I have the Jet. My only complaint is the grind on the table. It doesn't hurt anything. I just expected more from Jet at the time. I know better now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I have the Jet. My only complaint is the grind on the table. It doesn't hurt anything. I just expected more from Jet at the time. I know better now.
    While I absolutely don't disagree, if you consider over $200 has to be built into the price for "free liftgate" shipping to anywhere in the lower 48 and also consider that leaves $800 for the sander which is only 30% more than a top of the line random 6" orbit sander it starts looking like a bargain even if table looks like an epileptic baboon did the work.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    While I absolutely don't disagree, if you consider over $200 has to be built into the price for "free liftgate" shipping to anywhere in the lower 48 and also consider that leaves $800 for the sander which is only 30% more than a top of the line random 6" orbit sander it starts looking like a bargain even if table looks like an epileptic baboon did the work.
    Everything that I have ever bought from grizzly has had a table that was ground 5000 times better than what's on the Jet. I'm not saying it wasn't a bargain. Everybody just assumes that you will get better fit and finish from Jet.

I just got the Jet OES-80 on their annual sale. $918 delivered right to my door in the middle of no where. It was what I would expect for the price (as Van said). The table grind isn't pristine nor perfectly flat (A few thousandths twist in the table) but I didn't expect it to be. I read many posts/reviews about it before I bought so no surprises. It works for what I need which is edge sanding cabinet doors/drawer fronts. For that it is more than accurate enough and a pleasure to use.

Blog Entries
    I also have the Jet but, it was not my first choice; it was on sale and I went for it. The belt moves too fast for my taste although you can learn to work around that. Dust collection is decent. Table elevation and tilt are very crude but, again, workable with some effort. Fit and finish are sub-Grizzly but, the thing is pretty inexpensive as far as those tools go. It is not destined for the road anytime soon but, in hindsight I would have been glad to pony up double the price for a better machine. If you want to get in cheap, it is a good bet if a bit unrefined. As it is I will probably drive it to the tomb and then reassess.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I used to have a Steel City .. it was an irritating sander. the table wouldn't stay 90 degrees to the belt. Edge Sanders are awesome tools, once you have one, you will use it way more than you think ..

Thanks for the replies. I'm still on the fence. I have several Grizzzly machines and have been very pleased with them. It's just a little hard to spend almost twice the amount for the Grizzly vs. the Jet or Delta. I would just be for personal use so spending 1800.00 is hard to justify. Hope they will put the Jet in sale sometime soon.

Whatever you get, make sure both the table and platen are straight and don't deflect under pressure. I weak or twisted platen is a deal breaker. Dave

thread says Oscillating edge sanders are we talking about them or edge sanders? got a progress machine table not square to the belt but not too much off, will modify it to be adjustable at some point. Machine I bought had been relpaced by a new itialian oscillating machine. I never should have tried that one. Mine works well enough but that other machine was much nicer and belt life would be longer. You can angle your table or move your piece up and down I know but the belt moving up and down while you work is very nice addition to an edge sander

I have the Laguna 6|89, which looks identical to the Jet. I've only used it a bit, but it's been great so far.

Just got the call that my Jet came in yesterday at my local dealership. I took advantage of the last flash sale and like to buy brands my dealer carries. But in the edge sander area (especially oscillating) there aren't a whole lot of choices for the hobbyist.

If you're looking for another Jet sale, I would guess something around Father's Day will come up. At least that's when Powermatic does one of their annual sales.

The Baleigh looks like the same machine as Grizzly. I'd stick with the Green. I've had both oscillating and without. Not much difference in this type machine. I am lucky to have gotten a General International Oscillator before their demise. I think they were a step up with their Asian machines.
    The buzz here is that tables aren't 90 sometimes. I'd want to deal directly with manufacturer on this one. Again Green. my $.02