Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oscillating edge sanders

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    The Baleigh looks like the same machine as Grizzly. I'd stick with the Green. I've had both oscillating and without. Not much difference in this type machine. I am lucky to have gotten a General International Oscillator before their demise. I think they were a step up with their Asian machines.
    The buzz here is that tables aren't 90 sometimes. I'd want to deal directly with manufacturer on this one. Again Green. my $.02
    My brother has several Baleigh machines in his fab shop[Metal] and the machines were well worth the price and support has been good. I am actually considering one of their OSC,s if I do not fine an old iron machine soon. And Grizzly is not the manufacturer, they are an importer just like Baleigh.

Find an Oakley H6. Or even a newton.

Personally there is none better then the EC 112.

DSCN3156.jpg

H6-48. Dave

Even an old Acme (or other) non-oscillating machine will work fine. Just angle the table. Much cheaper, lighter, easy to operate.

You couldn't give me two Delta's, three Jet's and a dozen Grizzly's for this one.

2010_04240005.JPG

And of course, used it was less than half of the imports. It will be sanding when I'm long gone.
    Larry

Like Warren, I bought an old Progress (non-oscillating) edge sander from a shop that replaced it with a new Powermatic OES. That machine is really nice, but well beyond my budget. I put a variable frequency drive on mine which made it much more controllable and extends belt life. Most edge sanders run fast enough to require a very light touch. If you can find a bargain on a used 3 phase unit and add a vfd it can be a good alternative.

I've had a G0564 Grizzly sander for about 8 years, and before that had a G0512.

The 0564 is an excellent machine - no complaints whatsoever. The 0512 was a little light duty for my use.

another suggestion is you could build your own with little money and a little time. I love mine and can't imagine what else I could need beyond it.

Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 8.40.03 PM.jpg

Love my Vega OES. For new under $2000 its tough to beat. Made 42 miles from where I am sitting right now. The ground I-beam construction is awesome.

I too am shopping for a good edge sander. Here is my take on them. I have some other Delta machines which I actually like but parts support is terrible so their out. I like the Jet OES-80CS, the Leguna Platinum series or another one that I found looks close to the Jet is a North State. All are Oscillating and the belt sizes are the same. The Jet HP is 1.5, the North State is 2.0 HP and the Leguna is 3.0 HP.

Blog Entries
    I was looking for an OES and considered the Laguna but the Laguna rep told me they were out of stock until January.

I have the Jet OES-80, runs off 110v, I've sanded Hard Maple, Purpleheart, Walnut, I've never logged the motor down yet.

Very happy with the machine.

Blog Entries
    Just in case it helps anyone. I was worried about the power on my Jet OES-80 as well but, it has been fine. I have never bogged it down.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler