Thread: Table Saw Fence Conundrum

Table Saw Fence Conundrum

I replaced the factory fence on my Ridgid 3650 with a Shop Fox Aluma Classic. It has served me well but some of its draw backs have compelled me to seek an upgrade. I read the reviews of the Biesemeyer and it appears the quality has dropped off significantly. Especially with respect to the glide boards. I have been looking for an alternative but am having a hard time finding anything of reasonable quality. The Xacta seems to be the only option I can find on Amazon, ebay, Rockler, etc. 1. Does anyone have any experience with the new lesser quality Biesemeyer and can it be back fitted to original standards? 2. Has anyone have any experiences with Xacta? 3. Is there another alternative I haven't found?

VSCT (Very Super Cool Tools), Vega, Incra

While I hate the plastic faces, the powermatic accufence is a good all around fence I think.

I did the research and went with the VSCT. I got the 80/20 from 80/20inc. The extruded rail and drop in nuts were about $50 cheaper going this route. I still haven't even installed the biesemeyer rails yet. Need to get a good center punch and a #7 drill bit. Wish me luck!

I'm far from a master woodworker but I have had several table saws over the years and my hands down, favorite has been the Delta Unifence over Biesmeyer and all the other various fences that came with the saws I've owned.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I have had the Vega 52" on my late '90s era Craftsman contractor saw for several years and have been very pleased with it. If 52" is too big, I think they make a smaller one. DB
    It's called golf because all the other 4-letter words were taken

I would not spend the money on a new Biesemeyer. The HTC, Jet Xacta II, and PM Accufence are all made by HTC AFAIK, and are very good fences that are design more like the older style Biese....the last I knew were made in the USA too. The Saw Stop T-Glide fence is as good as any of the Biese clones too. Vega is a nice fence and good value IMO....great micro adjustment. The Incra is king of hill for precision and repeatability, but is a bit expensive and takes up more room (worth noting before you take the leap blindly).
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Stanton View Post
    I did the research and went with the VSCT. I got the 80/20 from 80/20inc. The extruded rail and drop in nuts were about $50 cheaper going this route. I still haven't even installed the biesemeyer rails yet. Need to get a good center punch and a #7 drill bit. Wish me luck!
    It may be worth checking Ebay for 80/20 cutoffs too. If the VSCT rail & head are accurate and repeatable, it seems like you could make as many fences for different operations as there are 80/20 shapes, IOW a lot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Stanton View Post
    Good luck. Did the $50 savings mean that you bought a standard extrusion or does 80/20 offer them milled true as well? I know they offer a "smooth surface" line but, it is not clear whether this is simple better finished or actually machined true. It would be obvious from the presence of milling marks on the extrusion.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I seem to remember that Alan at VSCT mentioned at one time that 80/20 extrusions available from ebay, etc. were a different size, specifically the T-slots, such that they might not fit the VSCT fence head. That may not be true anymore, it's been a while since I read that. Another option to consider for anyone looking to upgrade is a Shop Fox fence from grizzly. You can get just the fence and DIY yourself the guide rails...

The best fence is going to be the Euro style fence that can be used long, short and low or tall.

A used Delta Unifence would also be good.

This fence style improves rip accuracy and safety.

Regards, Rod

I got my extrusion from 80/20. VSCT tries to make the nuts and extrusions sound as if they are proprietary. Obviously they aren't. Thanks!

Your overriding statement is find a good used XXXX. It seems the best fence and rail systems have already been built and sold. I looked for months on Craigslist waiting for a quality rail and fence system. Never came to fruition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    The best fence is going to be the Euro style fence that can be used long, short and low or tall.

A used Delta Unifence would also be good.

This fence style improves rip accuracy and safety.

Regards, Rod

I went with the Very Super Cool Tools fence and love it.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Robert Stanton View Post
    I got my extrusion from 80/20. VSCT tries to make the nuts and extrusions sound as if they are proprietary. Obviously they aren't. Thanks!
    I was under the impression that VSCT uses standard 80/20 extrusion, but mills/dresses the faces for perfect flatness / straightness.